Law School Discussion

$850 deposit at hofstra??? What to do?

$850 deposit at hofstra??? What to do?
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:07:39 AM »
The deadline is approaching....5/6 and still have not heard from Brooklyn and Cardozo??  Do you you give them the deposit and pray that the other two deny you????They said that their policy does not allow for extensions??Isn't that absurd?

158/3.7

Re: $850 deposit at hofstra??? What to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:17:02 AM »
Maybe you should call the other schools and let them know about your situation. I'm not sure if this can hurt you or not. This way they at least know you would attend if accepted.

But ask others before calling.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 11:17:54 AM »
Depends.  Do you want to go there?  Have you received any word from the other two?  Are you going to be more upset if you loose the ridiculously high deposit or if you dont get to attend law school anywhere next year?

I know its tough, but you have to go with the option that is going to leave you the greatest chance for success/happiness.  Nobody wants to loose that kind of cash, but none of us want to be stranded with no law school either.

Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 11:30:47 AM »
did u apply for pt at cardozo?

The Truth

• Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 12:16:10 PM »
Send them the check but don't sign it and make your own extension while they call/email you to say you forgot

Tell them sorry and you'll drop another in the mail right away (while you wait on the other two)

If they reject you then, bump em' ;)

J/K

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 12:22:31 PM »
I applied to Cardozo FT (I know there is little hope) but I have strong GPA and soft points.  I am probably going to go ahead with the deposit....doubt I'll get in to the other schools.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 01:36:25 PM »
Send the money in, JMHO and eat the $850 if you get into another school and rather go there.  At least you can sleep well knowing that you're going to law school next year.  As far as GPA is concerned we unfortunately live in a world where a good gpa no longer matters.  If you have a 4.0 and a 158 you're getting rejected from great schools that will accept students who have 2.8 and 170s.  Although the lsat, a test you take in one day really is no predictor on how well you would do in law school, while taking courses in school and doing well over 4 years is, the law schools value a high lsat more so they can stay or move up in the rankings.  A sad state of affairs if you ask me, and yes I like to write runon sentences. lol

ccorsi

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:42:57 PM »
$850 is chump change in NYC.  A studio apt in Manhattan will cost you twice as much for a month.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »
Just pay it...Hofstra doesn't lock you in to attending their school just by paying the deposit (as as few schools do).  It just sucks that their deposit is so high.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »
how can a school lock you into attending by paying a deposit?