Law School Discussion

Georgetown v. UCLA?

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown v. UCLA?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 01:21:51 PM »
daynee, don't get me wrong - i'd rather live in gary, indiana, than l.a.  dc vs. l.a. is no comparison for me.  despite the humid summers, i'd take dc anyday of the week.  comparing the two schools is a different story, though.

True, meteorology shouldn't be #1 (or even 3 or 12) on the list of reasons to choose a school, but I'd also choose Georgetown because... well... it's freakin' Georgetown

I don't doubt UCLA is a fantastic and well-regarged school as well, but I personally would always choose Georgetown because of the respect I have for the institution and for those who have obtained Georgetown degrees.  To me, it's Ivy-league.

What it should really come down to is: where does the original poster want to practice and what type of law does he/she want to practice?  I'm pretty sure both schools would be equally respected on either coast (and all the square states in the middle ;) ), but I think as another poster stated, if you know for sure where you want to ultimately end up, your three years in school can be invaluable in making both personal and professional contacts.  So that should have an impact on a person's decision.

lawst

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 02:37:48 PM »
Oridinarily I would consider this a rude question, but since we act anonymously on these boards I'll ask it: If you don't mind, would you share your GPA/LSAT with us?

I am on the waitlist at UCLA and I have not heard a peep. I was hoping I could loosely gauge my chances by your numbers.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
My GPA was a 3.5, and my LSAT score was 170.  AND I e-mailed and called the law school constantly like the desperate woman I was.

taterstol

• Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 04:22:47 PM »
Go to Georgetown. Then you and I can play! :-D

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 06:12:36 PM »
I know someone who went to UCLA law and spent a semester in D.C.--I think they have a program that allows you to spend a semester working for a law firm or something there--you should call them and ask about it

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 09:07:41 AM »
As I native Californian, and someone who now lives in DC, hopefully I can offer some additional insight besides the weather differences.  Although don't discount the ungodly humidity in the summers (it really is miserable outside), the pretty cold winters, and possibly the worst- the endless rain in April and May (last year- 35 days straight).  More than the difference in weather though, is a difference in attitude.  DC is a very transcient city- lots of people come here for a few years before moving on. If you are looking for a place to find life long roots, this probably isn't it.  Additionally, don't mistake "liberal" east coast cities for the same thing as liberal California.  Liberal in the East Coast simply means staunchly Democratic, where as in California it describes a different kind of laid back attitude that is more accepting of differing views on life.  Also, people on the East Coast simply aren't as friendly. Don't get me wrong- I love DC and have a ton of nice people here.  But don't be expecting strangers to smile at you on the metro or as you walk down the street.

As for the two schools, having visited both I have to say the schools reflect the personalities of the Coasts where they are located.  Georgetown feels a little bit colder, less inviting than UCLA's campus.  The students can be a little stuck on themselves, as can the faculty, but that is because they have good reason to be.  It is a darn fine institution and has attracted some of the best and brightest.  UCLA's students were much more welcoming, and I got a less competative feeling from them. 

Finally, the cost of living in both cities is pretty high, so that can't weigh one way or the other, but keep in mind that Georgetown isn't in the greatest of neighborhoods.  So, while there is traffic in LA, count on some commuting time for GULC as well- because you will want to be traveling in.

If you want to stay in California to practice, and you have a strong support network there, I say UCLA is the easy and obvious choice. 

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 09:11:36 AM »
Georgetown could give you an inside track on government connections.  Let's face it.  Lawyers go to DC for the same reason Willy Sutton robbed banks: That's where the money is.