Law School Discussion

Georgetown v. UCLA?

Georgetown v. UCLA?
« on: June 01, 2004, 05:21:36 PM »
I had decided to go to GULC and even wrote notes to profs and mentors notifying them of this when last week I found out I got off the waitlist and offered admission at UCLA.  Now I am SO CONFUSED!  I went to UCLA as an undergrad, and a part of me wouldn't mind going back and loves the idea of in-state tuition (though not as much savings as I thought!)  But, I've never lived on the East Coast before, and I am wondering, how much does rank matter (GULC is 14 and I think UCLA is 16 on the 2005 US News list.)  I would greatly appreciate any insight; I am TOTALLY at my wit's end trying to figure this out and at this point I stop strangers in the street and solicit opinions from them.

Thanks!

thechoson

Re: Georgetown v. UCLA?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »
Simple.  Go to UCLA if you are sure you want to practice in California.  If not, then go to G-town.  G town is only 2 spots higher yes, but is much better regarded on the national scene

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 07:33:08 AM »
I also vote for UCLA.the in-state tuition cannot be ignored..Also, I do think that UCLA has a national prestige so, unless you are really interested in international law or just want a life change by moving to the east coast, UCLA will be awesome..Also, don't underestimate the winters...it is cold!! I recently moved from Berkely to Boston and it has really made me think twice about going to law school on the east...
Regardless, you cannot make a bad choice..good luck!

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 07:57:33 AM »
Also, don't underestimate the winters...it is cold!! I recently moved from Berkely to Boston and it has really made me think twice about going to law school on the east...

Don't get me wrong, DC does get winter weather, but Boston it ain't! :)  DC is geographically the South.  There's a huge difference between Virginia and New England.

(Sorry, I just had to defend my east coast!  ;D )

Personally, I would choose Georgetown, and not just because I'm an east coast girl.  It's kind of cheesy, but I'd make a list of pros and cons.  The fact that you have two great schools from which to choose is really an accomplishment.  Congrats!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 07:58:58 AM »
[New to posting, but have been reading boards]

I think that you are in a great position right now, and I think that your choice should largely depend on where you want to practice and where you will feel most comfortable. If you plan to live in the East Coast for the rest of your life, than GULC is the place for you. DC is a great place, and the Georgetown area in particular has a lot to offer. Since you have grown up on the West Coast though, I am assuming that many of your friends and family are there, and you might be considering staying there. Going to a school there may help you get more connections in that area, get more associateship offers after your second year in that area, and have more insight into the CA Bar. Also, you may need a tight group of people during your first year, when the schoolwork is overwhelming and you're feeling less than happy. Moving accross the country could affect you emotionally. The advice that everyone has given me--do as Ben Franklin would do and make two columns. Place the pros of each school in each column. The one with the most pros wins. Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 10:35:42 AM »
Hey,

I had to make the same decision as yourself.  I chose Georgetown just because I think it is a little more nationally regarded and I am afraid UCLA will get hit hard with the budget cuts.  Also , the traffic in LA was horrendous and I guess I am a east coast kind guy.

-Speed

jbshane

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 11:15:36 AM »
Also, don't underestimate the winters...it is cold!! I recently moved from Berkely to Boston and it has really made me think twice about going to law school on the east...

Don't get me wrong, DC does get winter weather, but Boston it ain't! :)  DC is geographically the South.  There's a huge difference between Virginia and New England.

(Sorry, I just had to defend my east coast!  ;D )

Personally, I would choose Georgetown, and not just because I'm an east coast girl.  It's kind of cheesy, but I'd make a list of pros and cons.  The fact that you have two great schools from which to choose is really an accomplishment.  Congrats!

DC's winters are nothing compared to Boston's - daynee is absolutely correct.  Not to say that it doesn't get cold in DC, but if you were here (that is, in Boston) for the last two winters, you'd see that there is no comparison.

But, let's not underestimate the absolute nastiness of DC during the summer.  It isn't exactly what you would call a "dry heat."  I was in DC for the 4th of July 2002 and 2003, and it was almost unbearble outside before about 7 in the evening.  I can't even imagine dealing with summer like that.  Boston can get hot and humid, but nothing like DC.

On the point of the "cheesiness" of making a pros v. cons list, I don't think that it's cheesy at all.  When making my final decision between Hastings and Davis, I laid out my exact criteria, including their relative weights, and did an analysis of each school.  Criteria included job placement (in my desired destination city, in-state, and then nationally), location, facilities, etc.

Choosing a school is not a thing to take lightly.  I would look into both schools as deeply as you can, weigh the positives and negatives of each, and make an educated decision.  I don't think you can go wrong with either Georgetown or UCLA - both are incredible schools.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »
Thanks so much for the input; I am so glad I posted!  I am definitely a west coast kind of girl, and I think right now I am leaning towards UCLA.  In case I have a meltdown my first year, at least I'll have friends and fam on hand.  Plus, I do want to practice in Cali.  But visiting Georgetown, I couldn't help but fall in love with DC and the whole East Coast vibe.  I guess it kind of seduced me.  Hopefully, I can get one of the many cool internships in DC the summer after my first year.

Thanks again!

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 11:42:47 AM »
But, let's not underestimate the absolute nastiness of DC during the summer.  It isn't exactly what you would call a "dry heat."  I was in DC for the 4th of July 2002 and 2003, and it was almost unbearble outside before about 7 in the evening.  I can't even imagine dealing with summer like that.  Boston can get hot and humid, but nothing like DC.

Yes.  The humidity does suck.  A lot.  God bless air conditioning!  I still don't think I'd give it up for L.A., though.  But that's just me...

Even though I'm a little bit south of our fair capital, I seriously love DC.  Maybe it's because I took a lot of field trips there as a child, but it's a bit of a magical place to me.  There aren't many places I'd leave my city and move to, but DC is definitely one of them.

jbshane

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 01:03:02 PM »

Yes.  The humidity does suck.  A lot.  God bless air conditioning!  I still don't think I'd give it up for L.A., though.  But that's just me...

Even though I'm a little bit south of our fair capital, I seriously love DC.  Maybe it's because I took a lot of field trips there as a child, but it's a bit of a magical place to me.  There aren't many places I'd leave my city and move to, but DC is definitely one of them.

daynee, don't get me wrong - i'd rather live in gary, indiana, than l.a.  dc vs. l.a. is no comparison for me.  despite the humid summers, i'd take dc anyday of the week.  comparing the two schools is a different story, though.