Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Texas-Austin worth it?  (Read 717 times)

copey2001

Is Texas-Austin worth it?
« on: May 03, 2005, 10:34:54 AM »
Is University of Texas at Austin worth the 40,000 extra debt (before interest payments) I'd have if I chose it over Notre Dame?  Anyone have any ideas?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Is Texas-Austin worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:39:50 AM »
How is that even possible? What kind of deal did Notre Dame give you?

In any case, probably not, but it depends on your goals. Where do you want to work?
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

copey2001

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:47:46 AM »
its possible because i'm out of state at Texas, and therefore, tuition is 30,526.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:53:03 AM »
^

Yeah, and Notre Dame is $31,820 in tuition, $400 in fees, $1,200 in books, and $11,885 in living expenses, for a total of $45,275, vs. Texas's total of $43,536 (I love how both schools have it all figured down to the dollar, btw). But you say Notre Dame will be $40,000 less in debt, meaning you got a $13kish grant a year from them. I was just surprised that you got that much from ND and nothing from Texas.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

be10dwn

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »
besides you could get residency in Texas after the first year making it a hack of a lot cheaper.

copey2001

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »
Yeah, I got 15K/year from NDLS.  The way the schools website have it is NDLS is 45,275 Total COA and UT-Austin is 43,536 Total COA.  Which means that, after three years, I will have a debt of 90,825 (after subracting 45k fellowship) from ND and 130,608 from UT-A.  So, my question is, is it worth it?  I know Texas is a better school, and in my opinion, a nicer area...but I've visted both and I like both.  I want to do BigLaw, though, and I hear the opportunities are better out of UT.  Any help?

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:16:41 AM »
besides you could get residency in Texas after the first year making it a hack of a lot cheaper.

Not in Texas.  Living here for school doesn't count (which makes perfect sense).

To the OP, you can ask UT to reconsider your aid award and fax in your ND scholarship to see if they will take that into consideration.  See one of the threads on negotiating a better scholarship offer. However, I *thought* that May 1 was the final day for this.  Can't hurt to try. 

Also, you could get scholarships your 2L or 3L year which could help.  I think UT is better, but that's a tough difference to swallow if you are not going to practice in Texas (in which case, I would definitely say to take UT in a heartbeat).

frankowen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing, I am free at UIUC. I thought Texas was going to be 13K more a year for me, but now it is going to be 23K more a year for me. Is it worth it? 

biglarryowens

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • biglarryowens on LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »
How much is the first Texas deposit?
166/3.58
Attending UT ($)
Yes: USC, Wash U, USD, ASU, William&Mary, Indiana, UofA, UNLV, Illinois, UT Austin
No: NYU, Georgetown, Columbia, Yale, Havard, Penn, Duke
Defer: Cornell
Waitlist: UCLA

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=biglarryowens

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »
^

The relatively paltry sum of $200.