Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA Bound Thread  (Read 45700 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: UVA Bound Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2005, 12:29:33 AM »
I'm leaving that dilemma to my roommate. He was a UVa undergrad, so hopefully he has some insights for this.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2005, 03:09:33 PM »
I posted this to a health insurance thread I'm following, but I thought if any UVA students are, like me, stressing about whether to go with Chickering or strike out on their own and find a different health option, it might be useful:

I've started my research with the Chickering Group's plan at UVA. It covers all kinds of stuff for dependents that doesn't really apply to me, so I'm wondering if a sparser plan elsewhere might be more cost effective.

Chickering's UVA policy has a $1600 premium, and there's a $150 deductable, and after you've met that the plan will cover 90% of most doctor visits and 80% of lab fees. You pay the other 10% or 20% as the case may be, and that is called "co-insurance." The plan will pay for that stuff at 100% once you've paid $1,500 in "co-insurance," but co-pays, the $150 deductable, amounts you have to pay because it was above what chickering deemed "reasonable charges"--all that stuff doesn't count toward the $1,500. Basically you can only get there by adding up your personal 10% of doctor visits and 20% of lab fees. Co-pays are generally $20. http://www.chickering.com/stu_conn/student_connection.aspx?group_number=812806

For prescriptions you have a $100 deductable, and after you've paid that out it's a $10 copay for generic and a $30 for brand drugs.

I think they want most people just to use campus health services: "Student Health professional services are covered by your student activity fee. This means there is no charge for your visit with a Student Health provider (e.g. Physician, nurse practitioner, mental health clinician, or health educator).  Unless otherwise noted, ancillary services (e.g. lab tests) received at Student Health or ordered by a Student Health provider will be covered at 100% without application of a Copay or Deductible. Ancillary Services provided at Student Health include, but are not limited to:
Immunizations
Injectable Medications (except contraceptives, which are covered under the Student Health
Insurance Plan)
Medical Supplies & Services
Laboratory Tests"

Chickering's UVA policy does cover contraceptives including the ring.

You can optionally get separate dental with Concordia for $150 premium with a $50 deductable and a $750 annual payout limit. This is only worth it if you might have cavities, but I had seven this year so I'll probably do it. The plan considers posterior composite fillings (the tooth colored ones that look normal) to be "alternative" which means it will only pay as much as if you got the amalgam (the dirty looking silver fillings that take a huge chunk out of your tooth).
http://www.chickering.com/stu_conn/student_connection.aspx?group_number=812806

I am going to go see what Blue Cross/Blue Shield can offer me.
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
When are we going to find out which sections we are in and which classes at which times we will have our first semester?

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2005, 10:25:10 AM »
Regarding the BoA Gate Loan - has anyone applied for this yet?  I have a 715 Experian credit score, will this qualify?  If so I want to apply now, I'm just nervous.  Any thoughts on this would be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks!
UVa it is!

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2005, 01:00:56 PM »
I applied for GATE last week, recieved the forms and a "conditional acceptance" over the weekend. My credit is OK (nothing bad), but not as good as yours seems, and I had no problem.
Attending UVa

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2005, 04:16:44 PM »
I applied for GATE last week, recieved the forms and a "conditional acceptance" over the weekend. My credit is OK (nothing bad), but not as good as yours seems, and I had no problem.

Thanks!  One more question.  For total loan amount on the application, do you add in the additional computer loan amount?  So budget - stafford - scholarship - $2500?  Or do you do the computer loan later?
UVa it is!

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »
UVA sent an email out today about health insurance, it comes from "Dr. James C. Turner"  I almost deleted it as spam since I didn't recognize the name.  Basically it spells out all of the premiums and fees associated with Chickering's plan.  The email was sent to my Virginia.edu email address.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2005, 06:13:16 PM »

Thanks!  One more question.  For total loan amount on the application, do you add in the additional computer loan amount?  So budget - stafford - scholarship - $2500?  Or do you do the computer loan later?

I didn't add the computer amount. From my understanding, you can add that later by having UVa certify the amount you spend for a computer + related expenses. I think you need to send the finiacial aid office some documentation of the cost of your computer, a reciept or price quote. I am planning to order mine tomorrow, $1900 I would rather not be spending right now.
Attending UVa

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2005, 09:29:18 PM »

I didn't add the computer amount. From my understanding, you can add that later by having UVa certify the amount you spend for a computer + related expenses. I think you need to send the finiacial aid office some documentation of the cost of your computer, a reciept or price quote. I am planning to order mine tomorrow, $1900 I would rather not be spending right now.

Thanks again.  I just applied.  I'm nervous.  How long did it take to find out if you were approved?  Did you only find out when you received the promissory note in the mail?  Sorry for the 20 questions...
UVa it is!

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2005, 10:23:39 PM »
It was surprisingly fast. I think I applied last monday, and the paperwork came in the mail on Saturday. I recieved an email confirming the application, but the letter was sign that I was approved.
Attending UVa