Law School Discussion

UVA Bound Thread

Re: UVA Bound Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 07:07:39 AM »
Does anyone know if we're getting an orientation packet or are we to answer all of our questions ourselves using their website?  I never really got much more than my acceptance letter, financial aid award and some stuff about activities, etc.  Nothing all that specific about how to sign up for health insurance, buy computers, get parking permits, etc, etc, etc.  Did I just miss this thing or have they not given us any info....

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 07:16:40 AM »
Does anyone know if we're getting an orientation packet or are we to answer all of our questions ourselves using their website?  I never really got much more than my acceptance letter, financial aid award and some stuff about activities, etc.  Nothing all that specific about how to sign up for health insurance, buy computers, get parking permits, etc, etc, etc.  Did I just miss this thing or have they not given us any info....

I would assume that they'll send us all that now that we've put deposits down, sometime this summer, with all the specifics.  All I've received so far are the acceptance letter, scholarship award and tuition/loan info mailing, so you're not missing anything! 

faith2005

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »
i have a question for folks. i thought that i pretty much needed to have a car for charlottesville, thats why i'm saving now, so i can buy one that runs. but i saw that bruin isn't bringing a car. do most people think its a necessity? if not, did anybody check out the bus/transportation system?

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 08:10:06 AM »
I asked my friend (a current 3 L) about the necessity of a car.  He said it's pretty essential if you're not living next to school and/or next to a shopping center.  I'm bringing my car, although I'm looking into  getting a bike so I can use that to get around and get some exercise.  If you can't afford a car, a bike might be a viable option (at least most of the year).

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 08:25:37 AM »
When are people moving in?  I'm thinking about moving in the weekend of the 20th, right before orientation.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 08:35:32 AM »
When are people moving in?  I'm thinking about moving in the weekend of the 20th, right before orientation.

I was going to ask the same thing. Some people have said on LSD or on the admit site that they are moving in mid-July. I was thinking about moving in the week or weekend before orientation. I want to spend as much time with my family and in my hometown before moving to C-ville.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »

Not sure yet, but am thinking of moving in a week or so before orientation, to have time at home (and make a little more $?), but still have time to run around and get stuff/look around C'ville

i have a question for folks. i thought that i pretty much needed to have a car for charlottesville, thats why i'm saving now, so i can buy one that runs. but i saw that bruin isn't bringing a car. do most people think its a necessity? if not, did anybody check out the bus/transportation system?

It seems that if you live near the law school (Ivy or Arlington Blvd), a car is not absolutely necesary. There is some bus service in C'ville that goes downtown and to some of the shopping areas. I am not sure yet, but I may end up geting a car at some point during the year.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 12:49:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in Charlottesville this fall. Does anyone know of any websites specfically for incoming UVA law students looking for roommates?

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »
Try the forum on the UVa admitted student site
http://www.law.virginia.edu/home2002/html/admissions/admitstudent.htm

Also: universityoffgrounds.com

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in Charlottesville this fall. Does anyone know of any websites specfically for incoming UVA law students looking for roommates?

you can join this yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uvahousing2008/