Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To become a JAG officer...  (Read 46844 times)

wuo

• View Profile
To become a JAG officer...
« on: May 02, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
Just wanted some general opinions on where i should go. I got into both indiana u-indy and syracuse u. My only goal in attending law school is to get into JAG. therefore, location and such do not matter. Indiana u-indy offered me 2000 dollars so tuition will be around 23000 a year. Syracuse would be 32000 a year. I am also wait listed at notre dame, u of wisconsin, and held at case western. The aforementioned three law schools will take priority over both indiana u and syracuse. However, i wanted to get some opinion on which would be a better school. indiana u-indy or syracuse?!?!?!? help me out here...

sarbinson

Re: To become a JAG officer...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:43:13 PM »
Just wanted some general opinions on where i should go. I got into both indiana u-indy and syracuse u. My only goal in attending law school is to get into JAG. therefore, location and such do not matter. Indiana u-indy offered me 2000 dollars so tuition will be around 23000 a year. Syracuse would be 32000 a year. I am also wait listed at notre dame, u of wisconsin, and held at case western. The aforementioned three law schools will take priority over both indiana u and syracuse. However, i wanted to get some opinion on which would be a better school. indiana u-indy or syracuse?!?!?!? help me out here...

Jag is so competitive that you should probably go to whichever one is ranked higher (I have no idea which that is).  As much as I hate to sound like a ratings whore...

I have a couple friends graduating from IU Indy now.  Supposedly they're making a push to bring it closer to IU Bloomington standards and you have the benefit of being in Indianapolis which is a fantastic city...

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 05:44:06 PM »

Keep in mind that you may not want to stay in the military forever...(most don't)  

With that in mind, you need to look at where these schools place geographicly, and decide where you'd rather potentially end up after, or even if you decide to follow through with JAG...

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »
Why would JAG be competitive?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 05:49:16 PM »
Grades matter more than the name of the school.  The most important factor is your interview with an SJA during 3L.  I've been a JAG paralegal several years and as far as I know, the school name matters VERY little.  We have a brand new JAG out of Cooley... so what does that tell ya?!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »
Why would JAG be competitive?

Most of these public interest, not profit positions are incredibly competitive.  You never thought that people would fight not to make money. 

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 07:16:35 PM »
If your sole reason for going to law school is to work for a particular employer, I'd rethink the decision altogether. Not only is JAG competitive strictly on the merits, but there are an infinite number of factors and intangibles that can cause someone to get passed over. You could have a bad interview. The interviewer could be having a bad day. Maybe you get a sports jock interviewer and you're more of an Iron Chef kinda guy.

Are you attracted to JAG because you like criminal law? If so, then I'd keep in mind other non-military options too. I just think it's really risky to spend 3 years in school for one employer that hasn't hired you yet, JAG or not.

That said, just do really well in school and be the kind of person that JAG likes to hire. I don't know what type of person that is. Don't be gay, though - you'll never get through the door! (boo...)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »
The public interest pursuit is focused more on prestige rather then money.
A TDY of service in the JAG corp often leads to huge networking, connections with Gov and NGO people, and secure placement within the public sector afterwards. Former JAGs also often get dibs on prestigious foreign service, which can then lead to international legal positions down the road.

A caveat though. I've talked to a few former JAG lawyers, and I also have a lot of military in my family. I'm also considering JAG, but I want to see how well I do in 1L first.  JAG positions are often limited as well.

http://www.jag.navy.mil/
http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/
http://sja.hqmc.usmc.mil/
http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

wuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 07:27:39 PM »
thanx for all your opinions guys. Just to clarify, i want to work for the government later in life after jag. However, i figured that jag would be a great starting point because of their benefits and experience. just to be more detailed:

Indiana U-indy pros: it is cheaper, great city, has a great international law program and law review, closer to cali (which is where my gf is), and has the option of getting an MBA from kelley school of business.

Syracuse pros: nice college campus, i think it has a better national reputation than indy, has the option of getting a masters in public policy from maxwell school of government.

Indiana U-indys cons: sounds hick, gets compared/mistaken to/as bloomington, no asians..haha

Syracuse cons: too expensive, out in the boonies, far away from gf...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 07:29:45 PM »
wow, you want to be jag off.?