Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: deferring  (Read 519 times)

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
deferring
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:39:38 AM »
i got my law school to defer my enrollment for 2 years. but now it turns out i might have to defer 3 years.
1) has anyone ever gotten, or heard of people getting, 3 year deferrals?
2) would it be wise at all to defer 3 years? or would i be better off reapplying after 3 years?

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: deferring
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:35:49 AM »
i got my law school to defer my enrollment for 2 years. but now it turns out i might have to defer 3 years.
2) would it be wise at all to defer 3 years? or would i be better off reapplying after 3 years?

Not to be nosy but why would you want such a long deferment?

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »

army

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 11:18:03 AM »

army

sorry to hear that...i hope they pay for it if they're going to make you wait that long!  i have a brother in the army...he're retiring next year but they MAY send him to the middle east AGAIN (he was there for a year and half already!!!)...

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 02:13:10 PM »
You may want to think about calling the school and telling them that it is 2 years but maybe three.

However, I don't see why you couldn't wait until like 1.5 years from now and then request an additional deferral due to the Army constraint and if they say no, you can still just reapply to schools in that cycle. When you defer, it does not mean you can't let the time go or decline and then reapply. No need to get worked up about it if the choices are get an additional year or have to reapply.

I heard from a friend of mine at Columbia that someone had deferred at a school (I think Columbia) for like seven years! You can call and request an extension later, and as long as it is not to just sit on your behind, but for something like service, I would hope the schools would understand.

The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)