Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nationally vs Regionally Placing. Is this list correct?  (Read 2218 times)

billiardballs1701

• View Profile
Re: Nationally vs Regionally Placing. Is this list correct?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 12:04:56 PM »
The large region is fair. Wash U is trying to be more national. They have a large number of alums in NY and a fair number in the DC area. They are working on the West Coast. You just have to finish higher in the class to go to certain firms/places.

agreed - there are many other factors that effect where you end up beyond the schools "reach."  you can move just about anywhere and get a job if you are qualified, did well in school, and have the patience and ability necessary to get a job.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 02:56:48 PM »
National versus Regional is silly, and overblown.

People are more likely to leave their hometowns, or their desired area of practice, if they get into big-time elite schools, and are less likely to do so if they got into a perfectly fine local school, but no elite schools. Then, after graduating, they leave their law school's area--as they intended to do all along. Does that mean that the non-elite schools aren't "national"?

Often times, if a person wanted to practice in their hometown of, say, San Diego, persons who would move to Boston to go to Harvard would not move to Boston to go to Boston College, especially if they got into USD locally. That isn't to say that Boston College doesn't have national pull, or is less of a "national school" than Harvard, it just means that people who go to Harvard (and top schools) go there for the education and have no interest in staying local.

Name recognition means a lot, of that I am aware. But, to overplay its importance is pervasive here it seems.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 03:01:44 PM »
I would add Harvard, Yale and UVA for sure.
UVa was already on the list under Nationally Placing.

Harvard and Yale go in their own special category   :-*

My bad.

BAFF213

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »
tag

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 04:09:35 AM »
National versus Regional is silly, and overblown.

People are more likely to leave their hometowns, or their desired area of practice, if they get into big-time elite schools, and are less likely to do so if they got into a perfectly fine local school, but no elite schools. Then, after graduating, they leave their law school's area--as they intended to do all along. Does that mean that the non-elite schools aren't "national"?

Often times, if a person wanted to practice in their hometown of, say, San Diego, persons who would move to Boston to go to Harvard would not move to Boston to go to Boston College, especially if they got into USD locally. That isn't to say that Boston College doesn't have national pull, or is less of a "national school" than Harvard, it just means that people who go to Harvard (and top schools) go there for the education and have no interest in staying local.

Name recognition means a lot, of that I am aware. But, to overplay its importance is pervasive here it seems.

Hm.  So you feel BC is as national as Harvard?  I know it's an excellent program, but I hear even BU is better if you want to leave Mass.  Things like alumni networks, etc., also probably play into this.

(Personally, I'd prefer BC over BU myself.)

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 08:24:13 PM »
where is beyond the galaxy? like we can work in outer space? :o

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 03:36:42 PM »

Hm.  So you feel BC is as national as Harvard?  I know it's an excellent program, but I hear even BU is better if you want to leave Mass.  Things like alumni networks, etc., also probably play into this.

(Personally, I'd prefer BC over BU myself.)
No, I don't believe BC is as "national" as Harvard. My point was that persons are more likely to go to a remote area to study law if it is an elite school than if it is a non-elite school. Further, placing well outside of the law schools area, in many cases, has more to do with the students than the school. While alumni networking and reputation is a factor, I'd suggest that it is in many cases secondary to my theory. Would Stanford be considered a "regional" school if nearly every single graduate stayed in the Bay Area? Would the University of West Virgina be considered a "national" school if, because of its weak economy, decided to get jobs elsewhere?

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 05:38:49 AM »

i hope bc can place me back in southern california

:-[
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

z

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 11:15:28 AM »

lawyers in space, hmm...sounds like an idea for a pilot.  surely, william shatner would be perfect for that.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 04:34:16 PM »

lawyers in space, hmm...sounds like an idea for a pilot.  surely, william shatner would be perfect for that.

shatner is a f-ing great lawyer
(163+172)/3.5