Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Florida thread - for those who live, study, or plan to work in Florida  (Read 10379 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Also, how is the cost of living in Miami/surrounding Miami suburbs? Ive grown up in the suburbs of New Jersey, so I use the cost of living in New Jersey as my "standard".  Will living in Miami be comparable to what I am used to, or higher/lower?

Well, your housing is taken care of, and housing is one of the biggest expenses in Miami.  You won't find a decent 1 BR (in a decent area) for under $900 or so, and $1k is quickly becoming the norm.  Gas prices in Miami are some of the highest in the state as well.  I would think food prices are comparable, I don't know about NJ but FL does not tax food. 

Florida is a fairly tax-friendly state in general if you live here, all things considered, though people are raising hell about high property tax rates since this housing bubble pushed prices way up (and they haven't fallen as much here as they have in other areas).  We really stick it to our tourists!  As long as you don't rent a car or a hotel room you can avoid much of that.  We tax the hell out of alcohol, though, but what state doesn't?  We also have no state income tax, which probably won't affect you much while in law school. 

Great! Thanks for the info! So basically, the cost of living in Miami isn't really comparable to NYC? 

I think NYC is in a class by itself. 

ETA:  If you wanna live like a New Yorker there's always Miami Beach.

well I've always loved New York, but the main thing that has kept me from wanting to actually work there is I hate the cold weather. Which is why Miami seems to appealing to me.  :D Major city in an unbelievably nice state, what could possibly be better than that?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2007/06/22/0623biztransplants.html

Insurance-scarred Florida emigres stream to Atlanta
Wave of transplants affects new architecture, real estate marketing campaigns, schools

a double post!  schwing!!!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
ick Atlanta

i just love Blue's positive outlook :) 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
ick Atlanta

i just love Blue's positive outlook :) 

as i was cruising by the beach the other day, i was thinking of how much i love it here.

but, one bad hurricane, and all the insurance companies will pull out.  and that will bite big time...

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
hmmmm i dont own a home...but my parents have two and it does suck...one is in apollo beach WAY too clsoe for comfort.  but i think it is worth it :) until i discover a place i like better.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
hmmmm i dont own a home...but my parents have two and it does suck...one is in apollo beach WAY too clsoe for comfort.  but i think it is worth it :) until i discover a place i like better.

well, to each there own.  if you can afford it, go for it...

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
ah i can barely afford my apartment.  and i hate all the greedy development.  but i have to stay here at least a few years out of school.  you should reaaaaaaally go to a school someplace  you like! if you can, that is. 

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
ah i can barely afford my apartment.  and i hate all the greedy development.  but i have to stay here at least a few years out of school.  you should reaaaaaaally go to a school someplace  you like! if you can, that is. 

true, but imo, you should also go to a school in an area you plan on practicing in.

and im no longer sure floriduh is that area for moi...

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Maka!!!  How's LS treating you?
Emory '09

LSN

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2007/06/tampa-ranks-las.html

Tampa ranks last for cities best for young professionals

Tampa placed last out of 40 cities in Forbes' list of cities best for young professionals, behind Detroit and Indianapolis.

This standing is largely attributable to Florida's demographic: an older population and plentiful out-of-towners. Tampa stands second-to-last among cities ranked for the number of those aged 20 to 35, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Further, just more than a quarter of Tampa's housing stock is comprised of buyers of investment and second-home properties, according to Moody's Economy.com.

Young professionals may also be turned off by Tampa business trends and high cost of living. Tampa tied Detroit and Indianapolis for third-to-last in the number of 400 best big businesses and 200 best small businesses, according to Forbes. What's more, Tampa finished with the lowest salary to cost of living score in Forbes' 40-city study.