Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Florida thread - for those who live, study, or plan to work in Florida  (Read 10392 times)

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
Florida universities grow in number of students, but not in faculty, data shows

Gaming the USNWR rankings?

[face_conspiracy]
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-pbog15jun15,0,2590628.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Fla. universities may limit enrollment as legislators keep them on tight budgets

that aint good...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Well, we have to give the asshats who live on the coast cheap homeowner's insurance, and god forbid their homes go up in value and they have to pay more in property taxes...gotta cut those as well.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm going to U of Miami, and I am hoping to get into corporate law/finance law in Miami afterwards. I do have some connections in the area as well through a contact. How feasable would this be? Also, how is it living in Florida? I'm coming up from living in New Jersey all my life, so I'm not sure what to expect going from living in a suburb, to living in the city in florida.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm going to U of Miami, and I am hoping to get into corporate law/finance law in Miami afterwards. I do have some connections in the area as well through a contact. How feasable would this be? Also, how is it living in Florida? I'm coming up from living in New Jersey all my life, so I'm not sure what to expect going from living in a suburb, to living in the city in florida.

Do you have a place lined up?

Miami is a huge, densely-populated town.  It helps if you speak Spanish.  Also, like most major cities, there are areas in Miami that are great, and other areas where you simply do not want to be caught after dark.  I've heard both good and bad things about the Coral Gables area (which is where UM is located) so be cautious about housing there (if you haven't found something already).  The Kendall and Doral areas are fairly middle-class and safe, but you'll have to commute to UM from there.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Do you have a place lined up?

Miami is a huge, densely-populated town.  It helps if you speak Spanish.  Also, like most major cities, there are areas in Miami that are great, and other areas where you simply do not want to be caught after dark.  I've heard both good and bad things about the Coral Gables area (which is where UM is located) so be cautious about housing there (if you haven't found something already).  The Kendall and Doral areas are fairly middle-class and safe, but you'll have to commute to UM from there.

You mean a place to live? Yea, I lucked out and got a spot in the brand new on campus apts, so I don't have to worry about housing for my 1L year. It is a 5 minute walk, if even that to the law building from my apt  :D  I do know basic spanish, but certainly not fluent enough to hold any kind of conversation. I can ask people what time it is, where is ..., what is your name, but just basic stuff like that.

If you mean a place to work, no, not at all. I haven't even moved down there yet.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Also, how is the cost of living in Miami/surrounding Miami suburbs? Ive grown up in the suburbs of New Jersey, so I use the cost of living in New Jersey as my "standard".  Will living in Miami be comparable to what I am used to, or higher/lower?

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Also, how is the cost of living in Miami/surrounding Miami suburbs? Ive grown up in the suburbs of New Jersey, so I use the cost of living in New Jersey as my "standard".  Will living in Miami be comparable to what I am used to, or higher/lower?

Well, your housing is taken care of, and housing is one of the biggest expenses in Miami.  You won't find a decent 1 BR (in a decent area) for under $900 or so, and $1k is quickly becoming the norm.  Gas prices in Miami are some of the highest in the state as well.  I would think food prices are comparable, I don't know about NJ but FL does not tax food. 

Florida is a fairly tax-friendly state in general if you live here, all things considered, though people are raising hell about high property tax rates since this housing bubble pushed prices way up (and they haven't fallen as much here as they have in other areas).  We really stick it to our tourists!  As long as you don't rent a car or a hotel room you can avoid much of that.  We tax the hell out of alcohol, though, but what state doesn't?  We also have no state income tax, which probably won't affect you much while in law school. 

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Well, your housing is taken care of, and housing is one of the biggest expenses in Miami.  You won't find a decent 1 BR (in a decent area) for under $900 or so, and $1k is quickly becoming the norm.  Gas prices in Miami are some of the highest in the state as well.  I would think food prices are comparable, I don't know about NJ but FL does not tax food. 

Florida is a fairly tax-friendly state in general if you live here, all things considered, though people are raising hell about high property tax rates since this housing bubble pushed prices way up (and they haven't fallen as much here as they have in other areas).  We really stick it to our tourists!  As long as you don't rent a car or a hotel room you can avoid much of that.  We tax the hell out of alcohol, though, but what state doesn't?  We also have no state income tax, which probably won't affect you much while in law school. 

Great! Thanks for the info! So basically, the cost of living in Miami isn't really comparable to NYC? 

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Great! Thanks for the info! So basically, the cost of living in Miami isn't really comparable to NYC? 

I think NYC is in a class by itself. 

ETA:  If you wanna live like a New Yorker there's always Miami Beach.