Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nova Southeastern vs. Kentucky vs. New York Law  (Read 1205 times)

Aida7

• View Profile
    • Email
Nova Southeastern vs. Kentucky vs. New York Law
« on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:23 PM »
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE! I recently graduated NYU but I live in Florida. I have been accepted into Nova Southeastern, University of Kentucky, New York Law, Pace and I've been waitlisted at Miami, UF, and Brooklyn.  I have not heard anything from FSU.  Is there anyone who can tell me about Nova (good/bad?) and make any recommendations?!  I went to visit all the schools, and Kentucky was in the middle of nowhere, but it is the best ranked one I got into (my stats are 151, 3.4).  I'm pretty sure I want to practice in Florida, but what are my chances of getting a decent job as an Alum from Nova? (or even UK/NY LAW in FL. Or how about getting a job in NYC from NY LAW, (it is 3rd tier)...
Does anyone have any advice or opinion on NY Law, UK, or Nova?
Also, what are the chances I get off a waitlist at Miami? I have written an additional essay to them but still no word.
I am used to being in NYC, and Lexington (UK) was a lotta nothing for me, would anyone recommend attending a law school where the location wasn't stimulating but the degree might be worth it? 
  Thanks for any advice or response!  ::)
NYU 3.4/150
in @ U.Kentucky ($$), NYLS ($$), Nova, Pace($), Syracuse, In at UF (for fall) off waitlist 8/20/05
WL @ Miami, Brooklyn, UF, Miss, Albany
hold @ FSU
rej @ UGA, W&L,

els2007

• View Profile
Re: Nova Southeastern vs. Kentucky vs. New York Law
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:05:47 PM »
I would seriously reconsider attending law school.  Your career options will be severely limited by attending the schools you've listed. Regardless of how you do you will never leave any of the markets since they're purely regional schools. Either take a year off and bump your LSAT up to at least 160 or pick another career.  You can be in the top 5-10% of those schools and still have trouble even finding a job....

mzmatia81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:36:20 PM »
Okk were do I began WERE IS THE ENCOURAGEMENT????????? Sorry everyone can't go to tier one or two school? People on these threads r so negative and full of themselves..... Everyone also doesn perform well on the LSAT so telling this person to take the lsat over to get a 160 from a 151 lets be serious this will not happen unless his 151 wasn't the full potential........I think he can only make the decision u can either pick the highest rank school or go to nova because that's where u wanna practice

wrmusgro

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:40:59 PM »
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE! I recently graduated NYU but I live in Florida. I have been accepted into Nova Southeastern, University of Kentucky, New York Law, Pace and I've been waitlisted at Miami, UF, and Brooklyn.  I have not heard anything from FSU.  Is there anyone who can tell me about Nova (good/bad?) and make any recommendations?!  I went to visit all the schools, and Kentucky was in the middle of nowhere, but it is the best ranked one I got into (my stats are 151, 3.4).  I'm pretty sure I want to practice in Florida, but what are my chances of getting a decent job as an Alum from Nova? (or even UK/NY LAW in FL. Or how about getting a job in NYC from NY LAW, (it is 3rd tier)...
Does anyone have any advice or opinion on NY Law, UK, or Nova?
Also, what are the chances I get off a waitlist at Miami? I have written an additional essay to them but still no word.
I am used to being in NYC, and Lexington (UK) was a lotta nothing for me, would anyone recommend attending a law school where the location wasn't stimulating but the degree might be worth it? 
  Thanks for any advice or response!  ::)

If you want to work in New York, NYLS would be fine for you. The median starting salary from NYLS is in the 90 thousand range. How the heck did you get into Kentucky with your stats? Unless you are a URM I don't see much of a possiblility of getting off the waitlist at Miami. Are you a URM? Anyway, you should be able to get a job in Florida with a degree from UK. (Personally I'd take the offer to attend UK and run, but that's just me. You snuck in there anyway and should be happy about it) Firms aren't tools and will hire you if you graduate from a good law school. You should be also be able to get a job in Miami/Ft. L. with a degree from NOVA. The poster who replied to this before is a tool who obviously doesn't do their research before they reply to a post. You can get a job out of Law school by attending any of those schools. There aren't that many unemployed lawyers out there. Your regional options are just more limited if you don't attend a top 3 school. A bunch of tools on this board if you ask me.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 05:14:30 PM »
I agree, els2007 is a cocksuker.  What a-hole advice.  Congrats on UK, it is a very good school in the middle of nowhere.  UK will take you all over Kentucky, into Cinci, most of Tenn and some other nearby areas very well.  It will also travel other places, but this will require more effort on your part.  I would have trouble choosing Nova over UK, but if you want NYC employment you may consider NYL, although I'm not sure they have a clear advantage over UK.  UK is way cheaper and if you can get in-state the second year it is practically free.

Aida7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the positives, after that first post I was worried!  I just wanted to add that UK gave me $10,000 a year thus making me pay in-state; NYLS gave me $10k as well but obviously it would still be a good amount of money to attend even with that.  Nova hasn't given me anything, if so it would be in the form of a supposed phone call, so I'm not too hopeful.  Anyway just wanted to add that...I hadn't mentioned it before. Thanks again for the positive replies and advice, please keep it coming. ;)
NYU 3.4/150
in @ U.Kentucky ($$), NYLS ($$), Nova, Pace($), Syracuse, In at UF (for fall) off waitlist 8/20/05
WL @ Miami, Brooklyn, UF, Miss, Albany
hold @ FSU
rej @ UGA, W&L,

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 05:57:41 PM »
UK is cheap, you will get a job if you go there, something like 100% employment on last years class. The only problem is that job will be in the UK region which isnt that big and salaries in 'biglaw' firms aren't that especially high though the cost of living is very low. There aren't actualy any huge biglaw firms like you'd see in NYC just bigger firms and smaller firms. No way to NOVA, I would choose NYLS or UK. NYLS is a bit overpriced and you'd have trouble getting a decent enough job to pay your loans but you'd be in New York which might be worth it. You still might be able to get a job in NYC with a UK degree, theres a partner at Cravath who went to UK, no idea how he managed to do that though.

wrmusgro

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 06:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the positives, after that first post I was worried!  I just wanted to add that UK gave me $10,000 a year thus making me pay in-state; NYLS gave me $10k as well but obviously it would still be a good amount of money to attend even with that.  Nova hasn't given me anything, if so it would be in the form of a supposed phone call, so I'm not too hopeful.  Anyway just wanted to add that...I hadn't mentioned it before. Thanks again for the positive replies and advice, please keep it coming. ;)

Good luck. It looks like you have some nice options.

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 09:33:30 PM »
I really got a good vibe when I went to visit Kentucky. The students are friendly and it seems to be a relaxed environment. They are going to be building a brand new facility starting next fall. It may seem like it's in the middle of nowhere but there is plenty going on. The surrounding countryside is also gorgeous.

I did my undergrad in Kentucky (not UK) and it always struck me as unique, everyone is operating at a differnce pace. I'm from Florida, and it took a while to get used to, but I liked it. I got accepted there with no money - but with in-state tuition after a year it would be an excellent deal. I'm still considering UK myself. 

jaburk3

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 10:04:03 PM »
UK is a good school. I did my undergrad there, so am looking to maybe go somewhere else (if I get off one of these blasted waitlists, preferably ND) but UK is still looking okay. Especially if I can get more money from them. Also, there is stuff to do...you just have to know where to look

;)