Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I the only one thinking about not using my laptop for notes?  (Read 2441 times)

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
Re: Am I the only one thinking about not using my laptop for notes?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but when I sat in on several sample classes I found the incessant clicking of computer keys to be very distracting. I am hoping the long hand thing catches on.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 11:49:40 AM »
Don't count on it.  You're likely just going to have to get used to it.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 12:00:07 PM »
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but when I sat in on several sample classes I found the incessant clicking of computer keys to be very distracting. I am hoping the long hand thing catches on.

Actually, I thought it was suprisingly quiet. Notebook technology has come a long way.

UMHBmom

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 04:15:41 PM »
Yup- I live in Alexandria currently.  I wetn to UMD (College Park) and grew up a little north of Baltimore. 

No kidding. My family lives in Stafford, and I grew up just south of Baltimore (Severn). So where did you grow up? Towson?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 09:29:29 PM »
Hey UMHB Mom- How did your finals go? Are you on break now?

UMHBmom

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 09:47:28 AM »
My finals went like finals.  :P The only thing left to do at this point is pray and try not to give myself an ulcer in the six weeks it takes to get my grades back. I'm freaked out because it is so easy to lose scholarship money here, and there was never a point in the past quarter where I felt like I was in better shape than half of my classmates, and lots of times when I felt like I was licking the bottom of the barrel. I've never worked so hard, been so unsure of myself, and berated myself for not working harder. Apparently I do not know how to think. Seriously. I can't just close my eyes and think about something in particular and then follow that thought to a conclusion. I close my eyes and wonder what to make for dinner and the fact that I need to renew the car registration and that Leah has a concert this weekend and that our epileptic dog is almost out of his seizure meds and needs to go to vet and that I need to rewrite my memo for Legal Writing.... you get the picture.  :-\ So I went and saw my doctor this week and she put me back on Ritalin... haven't taken the stuff since primary school. I would seriously recommend doing something similar if you've ever struggled with ADD in the past. Law school's tough, and the thing's you've done to manage it in the past won't work. Law school is such a bizarre lifestyle. When else would you be expected to sit in your ass and listen/think/read for 15 hours straight????

OK, so that may have been TMI. I'm fine! How are you?  ;D

ajumper

• AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergalway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »
I will be taking notes by hand.  I never used a laptop during undergrad, for taking class notes, which was all of 2 years ago and I find that I don't take things in as well as I do when I write notes.

I recently sat in on a class and found the tapping v. distracting!  What's wrong with doing it the old fashioned way?!
Rejected by many but.....
In at BC and GWU.
Now what?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 11:05:17 AM »
What's wrong with doing it the old fashioned way?  For me, and many others, lots!

It's time consuming, I can type much faster than I write.  I have no intention of transcribing classes, but if I can type the info I want faster, I'll be done sooner so I can continue listenting to the professor.

Also, it will be so much easier to add/supplement your case briefs as you go on, and let's not even get into how much easier it will be to take info from your notes *and* briefs when consolidating into your outlines.

Ver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 02:41:37 PM »
jacy spoke my mind exactly. When you're taking the time to write something down you could miss something important.  It's just not worth it.

NoVa

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 03:07:43 PM »
jacy spoke my mind exactly. When you're taking the time to write something down you could miss something important.  It's just not worth it.

I get that it makes it easier to augnent briefs or integrate into an outline after you're done- that's a concern in going w/ paper over a laptop.  But, how does in affect listening to the prof?  In all of my undergrad I can't remember a single time that I couldn't conectrate on the prof while takign notes - including while copying complex formulas.  I've always been of the mind set that if it takes more than a line to ge teh idea down- I'm writing too much.

Plus- I tend to draw a lot of arows tying things together in my notes - which makes it easier for me to outline later.  I have a feeling that would be hard for me to do on a laptop.
3.32, 160
4 years experience as a patent examiner
Attending: American
Accept: UMD, Catholic
WL: GMU
Reject:GULC, GWU