Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I AM IN NEED OF SOME LOVE (OR HELP)!!  (Read 3327 times)

reachy

• CLS, Here I Come!!
    • MSN Messenger - reachy@u.washington.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - reachy
    • View Profile
    • Reachy
    • Email
I AM IN NEED OF SOME LOVE (OR HELP)!!
« on: June 01, 2004, 12:12:18 PM »
I just lost $1600 in $10/$20 limit poker... I was actually up almost 1700, then from 3280 i lost it all... and I have finals in a week!! And I can't even tell my girlfriend, because she'll beat me for gambling... oh woe is me!!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: I AM IN NEED OF SOME LOVE (OR HELP)!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:17:14 PM »
...been there, done that. 

rule of thumb in limit poker:  you should never lose more than 40x the LB.  you took 160x to the table.  that was your mistake. 

just take your beating like a man. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

reachy

• CLS, Here I Come!!
    • View Profile
    • Reachy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:26:23 PM »
well the other guy was sitting with 3000, so i didnt really have much choice... he kept calling and raising anything, and kept getting lucky river pairs so it was ridiculous

rule of thumb in limit poker:  you should never lose more than 40x the LB.  you took 160x to the table.  that was your mistake. 

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 12:31:36 PM »
well the other guy was sitting with 3000, so i didnt really have much choice... he kept calling and raising anything, and kept getting lucky river pairs so it was ridiculous

thats when you leave that table and go to another.

was this online or b&m?

reachy

• CLS, Here I Come!!
    • View Profile
    • Reachy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 01:42:40 PM »
yeah i dont know its just addicting... i guess people have to find out the hard way not to gamble, because when youre up you keep playing more  and when youre down ... yeah

was this online or b&m?

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »
can you not pay them, and say: screw you, i quit gambling!

???

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 02:05:09 PM »
yeah i dont know its just addicting... i guess people have to find out the hard way not to gamble, because when youre up you keep playing more  and when youre down ... yeah

was this online or b&m?

just a word of advice from a guy that knows what gambling can do...

quit when you can.  winning playing poker is like winning the lottery.  though there is skill involved, 20% is still luck. 

trust me - i used to attend GA meetings.  you never want to go that far. 

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 02:21:47 PM »
My boyfriend used to play online...it drove me nuts.  But he never used his own $$.  He got $50 from the company to start b/c his friend referred him, and that is all he played with.  He cashed out and quit after a few months.  NEVER use your own $$.  If you lose that $50 referral $$ you are done, and you weren't meant to play like that.

My advice:

Play with your friends for fun with low buy-ins. No online *&^%.

Cut your losses and accept responsibility.  Do not blame the other player, the river, the flop, blah blah blah. 

Admit to you girlfriend you were WRONG and made poor choices.  Apologize and promise it will never happen again and you learned you lesson.  She'll forgive you.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

reachy

• CLS, Here I Come!!
    • View Profile
    • Reachy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 04:30:14 PM »
Good advice!! If only I could follow it...

My boyfriend used to play online...it drove me nuts.  But he never used his own $$.  He got $50 from the company to start b/c his friend referred him, and that is all he played with.  He cashed out and quit after a few months.  NEVER use your own $$.  If you lose that $50 referral $$ you are done, and you weren't meant to play like that.

My advice:

Play with your friends for fun with low buy-ins. No online *&^%.

Cut your losses and accept responsibility.  Do not blame the other player, the river, the flop, blah blah blah. 

Admit to you girlfriend you were WRONG and made poor choices.  Apologize and promise it will never happen again and you learned you lesson.  She'll forgive you.

reachy

• CLS, Here I Come!!
    • View Profile
    • Reachy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 04:32:37 PM »
Dude what is it with us Koreans ... Gambling, Drinking, Egocentric men ... the most vile race on the planet

was this online or b&m?

just a word of advice from a guy that knows what gambling can do...

quit when you can.  winning playing poker is like winning the lottery.  though there is skill involved, 20% is still luck. 

trust me - i used to attend GA meetings.  you never want to go that far.