Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN  (Read 44089 times)

MikeyMoe1

• 3.93/161--an October Retake boy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MikeyMoe1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2004, 11:17:42 AM »
Because DOWNY tells them to be. Everyone listens to DOWNY.

Well...good job then Downy!  You win a cookie!!!  :)
Bush/Cheney '04--because peace and prosperity suck.

lazybum

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2004, 04:40:20 AM »
edit

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2004, 10:23:46 AM »
      I took Kaplan two years ago during my first year of grad school but did not test because I could not commit the time to prepare as much as I would have liked. I am at the point in my studying that if I were to go through the course now I would find it too basic and pretty useless like many of the other posters have. But you have to put the course into perspective...
     The people on this board (mostly high scorers) are not representative of the population as a whole. Keep in mind that the mean score on the LSAT is 150 (right?). Kaplan probably serves its purpose for the majority of students out there. Yea, it's pretty basic for someone that has the capacity to score in the high 160's but most people won't score that no matter how hard they try. Kaplan teaches some useful and effective strategies that help the majority of test takers.
    I think that is also relevant to point out that were Kaplan to make its strategies any more in-depth it would be counterproductive to most of the people in the class. Just like strategies that are too basic are useless, so are strategies that are too complicated. Going into the complex subtleties of If-Then statements would be over the heads of a lot of people and they would gain nothing from it. Someone that desperately wants to pull his score up to a 150 needs help overall and getting overly complex would be a waste of his time.
     I do think that Kaplan was some of the best money I ever spent. Had I not taken the class and instead picked up a study guide or two I would have had no idea how difficult the exam really is. Nor would I have discovered that while ability plays a big role in your score, there are a lot of strategies out there that can help you out a hell of a lot.

tyson28

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2004, 12:26:22 AM »
Yes, very insightful.  Again, it affirms my initial thought that people that take designed courses for preparation to the LSAT should NOT be thinking of law as a career.  Reason, you may think you will be a good attorney, you may even know you will make a successful attorney, but the odds of crash course to the mind-set of an attorney are hardly tought for a thousand dollars and four weeks of your time.

Warm Regards!

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gummibearz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2004, 01:21:55 AM »
isn't that how most law students prepare for the bar?  they take some crash course and study, as opposed to tkaing 3 years of law school to study for it.  which makes perfect sense to me, b/c that way, they're able to exlpore more in law school, and find out their true interests are, rather than preparing 3 years for a test.
Attending:  Tulane, Class of 2008!

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2004, 01:31:39 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to Kaplan, but I did nothing but improve from my diagnostic over the time of the course.  I gained 11 points in all (4 during, 7 after).

I'm not saying I'm representative.  But I figured I should tell my story since it's a bit different from the maelstrom against Kaplan.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2004, 05:51:53 AM »
I don't think Kaplan is the reason why anyone on this planet scores 175+.  Heh.

Matt

sexygolfer

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2004, 05:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I had a tough time deciding between Kaplan & PR.  So I eventually stuck with PR!!!

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
You're better off going to Powerscore.  Their material rocks.  Now, only if they published a bible for RC...
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Jennifer10

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2004, 02:50:57 PM »
I'm just curious as to why this on the only discussion board I've encountered so far that hates Kaplan????

I visit other forums (e.g., www.lawschoolinsider) and people like Kaplan there!  Is this a conspiracy against Kaplan?? lol ;D