Law School Discussion

LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN

Louder Than Bombs

Re: LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »
It all depends on the indvidual's aptitude and work ethic.  You can use any prep materials you want - Kaplan, Test Masters, Princeton Review, etc. - and it won't guarantee you a high score.  It will just guarantee you an opportunity.  

I agree wholeheartedly. It is no secret I teach for Kaplan, and while I do believe in the efficacy of the methods I teach, I tell all my students that they will only get out of the program what they put in. This is true for almost any endeavor. If one expects to take ANY LSAT course (be it Kaplan, PR, TestMasters, etc.), show up once a week, neglect all the homework and outside practice, and have their score jump 10 points they have quite unrealistic expectations.

Chris

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2004, 08:00:59 PM »
[Chris] It's about damn time somebody stood up for poor defenseless KAPLAN, KAPLAN ROCKS! If Kaplan didn't work for you fine, but don't blame Kaplan, take some f*cking responsibility for christ's sake!!  >:(

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2004, 08:15:18 AM »
louder, i didn't know you taught for kaplan! wow.

well, after reading everything on here, i think i'm gonna have to side w/chris and phillip in saying that it depends more on you than on your test prep. but i'd also say that if you're gonna be shelling out $1000 or more, you should get what you pay for. i would think that's just fair.

this is why i would personally have a good, one on one, tutor. i know that i need one on one attention when it comes to standardized tests along with an hour or two a day of practice. i took a diagnostic test bone chillingly cold and only got a 145. after practicing some, i got it up into the 150s. now i want it into the 160s because i, like someone else here (i'm sorry i forgot your name!), am used to scoring in high percentiles and it would be nice to be able to do that again.

so as for kaplan, princeton, testmasters, whoever? i don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but i really don't care about all the bashing, competition, etc that goes on between them all. for that matter, i don't care about any of them period. if you have the $$, the ability to be part of a group learning setting, etc? more power to you.

good luck to all!

aj

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2004, 02:12:12 PM »
My two cents on Kaplan...

I took the course, and found it to be quite informative.  My diagnostic without ever seeing an LSAT was a 158.  In the class, I scored 157's & 156's on all their practice tests.  Also, my performance on each section seemed to be random.  I would perform well in reading comp one time, and then bomb it the other.  I was consistently inconsistet.  I mentioned this to the instructor, and all he had to say was, "That's not good."  There was no advice other than keep trying.  Duh! 

I did ALL the homework, all the online work, I didn't miss a class, etc.  I didn't want to leave any stone unturned.  You only get your money back if you do all the work, come to all classes, take all the practice LSAT's, etc. 

I scored a 150 on the December LSAT.  Not because I didn't learn how to answer the questions, but because I was burned out.  The week before the LSAT, we were required to take 3 full length LSAT's.  One was the Thursday before the real LSAT.  So, the last thing I wanted to see on Saturday was another LSAT question.

So, I went into Kaplan, and without any fight, they gave me my money back.  Strange though, they didn't even want to ask me what went wrong.  They didn't care enough to ask for feedback so that they could possibly improve their service.  That's where I think they deserve poor marks.

I can't get into any desirable law school with a 150, so I had to take the LSAT again.  I didn't prep at all for the February LSAT, and I scored a 161. 

What does this say about Kaplan...I'm not sure.  I didn't really improve my score above their diagnostic that much.  Perhaps I felt more confident with the games because of Kaplan, but I didn't learn anything new for LR or RC sections.  I suppose Kaplan was a waste of time for me because their method burned me out for my first LSAT.  This lead to a slow down of my appplicaitons.

I should have been suspicious of Kaplan because there were a lot of people in my class who were repeating the course because of either poor LSAT performance or they weren't testing high enough on the practice tests after the first time through Kaplan's course.  It would be interesting to see the stats on the % of students that repeat Kaplan's LSAT prep.

In sum...LSAT prep is necessary, but Kaplan is not.

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2004, 02:40:25 AM »
I found kaplan to be semi-useful.  I took my first practice test cold, about 6 months before starting kaplan, and got a 167.  I read the princeton review book before taking the kaplan course, then I scored another 167 for the baseline diagnostic.  During the course, I did every homework assignment, plus a lot of work of my own.  My final score was a 175, which I was obviously VERY happy with.  To be honest, I used parts of the kaplan method for games, but that was it.  For LR and RC I just kept doing what I'd been doing on my own, but kaplan did help me by teaching me what the different types or lr questions were.  I really do think I benefitted from the targetted practice of lr questions, even though I didn't use a particualr strat.  So, in summary I got some definite help from the Kaplan course, but mostly because I made what I wanted to out of it, and I think you'd have the same experience with any course.  But taking some course or reading a book is absolutly neccesary to success, as even a person with a high cold score can improve GREATLY with some serious prep, and as I see it games are made much more difficult without knowing the diagrams.

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2004, 08:52:10 AM »
when i went to an open house, i was hearing people talk about how they all want their money back from kaplan lol

i have never heard anything negative about PR though...

so hmm

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »
Well I am currently taking Kaplan and although my score has gone up a couple of points, I am not happy with the class overall.  I really think that the instructors that they hire should be more knowledgable. They don't seem to care who they hire, they just give them whatever training they think is good enough (which is a run through of the teacher's manual probably) and send them into the classroom.  I can't tell you how many times my teacher would say "I can't really explain why this is, but trust me this is the answer"  WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT :-X

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2004, 02:19:49 PM »
Well I am currently taking Kaplan and although my score has gone up a couple of points, I am not happy with the class overall.  I really think that the instructors that they hire should be more knowledgable. They don't seem to care who they hire, they just give them whatever training they think is good enough (which is a run through of the teacher's manual probably) and send them into the classroom.  I can't tell you how many times my teacher would say "I can't really explain why this is, but trust me this is the answer"  WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT :-X

That is unacceptable...where is your class? Your instructor should be an expert on the test and should be prepping his/her lessons better. You should complain to the center and see if you can switch into another class. I am sure they will offer to help you in some way, and since the LSAT is coming up I am sure there are other classes going on right now (unless you live in Alaska or Wyoming...). Of course, nobody should be expected to know everything about every test, but there should be a high degree of mastery displayed by the instructor, and if they cannot answer your question they should research the answer and explain it to you during the next class session (or before/after class).

Chris

nathanielmark

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 07:31:14 AM »
What is the criteria to become a kaplan LSAT instructor anyway?  I remember when i took the class years ago they invited me to apply for a job with them because i got a 168 on one of there administered LSATs.  the only problem with this is that I could have taken the test already on my own in independant preperation.

powerscore requires you to get a 171 on a real LSAC administered LSAT, which makes more sense to me.  they pay 25 bux an hour too, which is great for part time work.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2004, 07:47:13 PM »
What is the criteria to become a kaplan LSAT instructor anyway? 

You must score in the 90% of the test you want to teach, and you must have very large and attractive genitalia.

Chris