• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »
This is is definitely what I needed to hear since I will be taking a prep course (I heard that they did not use real LSAC questions so I was weary in my own right) Thank you for that clarification. What is your source on that (the prep course itself mentioned this?)
DId you yake a prep course how were your numbers in relation to Kaplan's methods?
JUST CURIOUS
Ivy_Hopeful

bobfett33

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 01:22:34 AM »
If you're looking for an LSAT tutor in So Cal, try me!  The name is Troy, and I don't charge nearly as much as Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.  E-mail me at bobfett33@aol.com

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 07:18:47 AM »
kaplan is horrible i started w/ a 165 and dropped to a 149 postponed my lsat... took princeton review and scored a 166 overall

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2004, 08:28:26 PM »
I took Kaplan and hated my teacher. She was negative and bland and thank god she quit. I also scored lower on the actual (oct 03) than on my diagnostic. I did complete 99% of the online coursework and 12 full length tests which were scored by the center. I requested my money back and was given a full refund.
I purchased every book available after that fiasco and prepared for the Dec 03 exam. The conditions were awful for the oct exam and wonderful for the dec exam. Needless to say I scored in the 97th percentile after studying on my own. Kaplan's 180 book was helpful. I had the leisure of studying 4 hours a day. I built my confidence and focus over the few weeks I had. I bought a disposable therma rest back warming pad for the inevitable cramping and cold conditions of the testing centers. I stopped being nervous. Kaplan did not help me out with anything except for structure and I believe damaged my prospects somewhat. Trust yourself and do the work from the many materials available. Do not use 30 days to the LSAT by M Stewart. Not only are his topics largely focused on rape and drug abuse, but his problems and formats are skewed and far off of the real questions. I even found some wrong answers in his calculations. What a waste of $12.95.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2004, 06:23:54 AM »
oh and saying that dropping to a lower score was the persons fault...i used my own techniques on the first one...kaplan said their techniques were much better...well after taking 5 tests i went 161 - 157 - 155- 156- 149

you tell me lol...this was using THEIR techniques...plus, the tests they administered were the WORST, didn't time them right EVER...

then when i took a diag myself without their techniques, i could barely remember my own b/c they spoonfed you theirs...

i got a tutor, learned SO Much more with princeton...and ended up getting a 166 (the first diag i took w/princeton i got low 150's btw)...

ebrumm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2004, 12:31:57 PM »
I studied on my own and did pretty well on the LSAT - meanwhile the girl across from me, right after the test was done slammed done her pencil and shouted out "KAPLAN I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" LOL! Everyone was just kinda shocked and did the whole ackward silence thing!

Victor

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 09:42:32 PM »
I studied on my own and did pretty well on the LSAT - meanwhile the girl across from me, right after the test was done slammed done her pencil and shouted out "KAPLAN I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" LOL! Everyone was just kinda shocked and did the whole ackward silence thing!

LOL . . .  stop playing

blizzard of ozz

• 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2004, 11:57:39 AM »
I agree, and I did reasonably well on the LSAT exam.

I thought the Kaplan instructor was garbage and requested a refund midway through my first class. After talking with people who took Kaplan courses, I've come to the lingering realization my results aren't exactly atypical. The first question I asked was his score. He scored a 156, which meant Kaplan's claim that instructors scored in the "top 10%" was fradulent. I requested my money back, which they returned to me at lunch.

This instructor also never took the test under actual circumstances, only as a "Kaplan Diagnostic", which I thought was ridiculous since he didn't actually know what the test was if he never took it for real.

The diagramming method for the logic games was insanely long, and I felt stupider after hearing their advice on arguments, which was just plain wrong.

After quitting that class, I studied on my own and raised my score 11 points. I used 2 books. 10 LSATs and 10 more LSATs.

If these classes work for some people that's great, but I'm not paying a grand to have someone teach me something I can teach myself better using my own methods.

Victor

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2004, 12:31:49 PM »
I agree, and I did reasonably well on the LSAT exam.

I thought the Kaplan instructor was garbage and requested a refund midway through my first class. After talking with people who took Kaplan courses, I've come to the lingering realization my results aren't exactly atypical. The first question I asked was his score. He scored a 156, which meant Kaplan's claim that instructors scored in the "top 10%" was fradulent. I requested my money back, which they returned to me at lunch.

This instructor also never took the test under actual circumstances, only as a "Kaplan Diagnostic", which I thought was ridiculous since he didn't actually know what the test was if he never took it for real.

The diagramming method for the logic games was insanely long, and I felt stupider after hearing their advice on arguments, which was just plain wrong.

After quitting that class, I studied on my own and raised my score 11 points. I used 2 books. 10 LSATs and 10 more LSATs.

If these classes work for some people that's great, but I'm not paying a grand to have someone teach me something I can teach myself better using my own methods.

Is 10 LSAT's good? I heard its outdated.

blizzard of ozz

• 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2004, 12:40:46 PM »
Its still great for everything besides the Logic Games, which IMHO were tougher on the old tests. The Logic Games for the last 3 or 4 tests and 10 more LSATs were closer to what I feel I saw on the actual LSAT. Oh yeah I also picked up 3 or 4 recent LSAT tests (within the last year or so) in addition to 10 LSATs and 10 more. They cost 8 bucks a pop though. I heard LSDAS is releasing the newer tests in a 3rd LSAT book though, so that should be cheaper. Those logic games in the last couple of tests were much closer to the new "style".

Still all you need to study on your own is under 100 bucks.