Law School Discussion

LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN

i hate kaplan

LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« on: July 30, 2003, 11:16:36 PM »
OK, so the brochure raved about the quick results students got and it even had pictures of students who had aced the LSAT - there was the guy who scored a 179 and went to Harvard and the girl who got a 180 and went to Yale. "All thanks to Kaplan." So, buying into the marketing pitch, I shelled out the $1100 for the course, hoping I would be one of those people in the picture, with a large 180 next to my head.

I took the Diagnostic Exam and scored a 165. Not bad, I thought, and I was assured by my instructor that by using Kaplan methods, I would be able to raise my score a bit more. So, I devoted roughly 20 hrs/week in attending classes, taking extra practice exams, narrowing in on my problem areas and basically, doing nothing but breathing the LSAT.

When I took the actual test, I employed all of the methods Kaplan had taught me. I really thought I aced that sucker. The reality? Imagine my surprise when I found out about a month later that I got a 149! To add insult to injury, Kaplan refused to refund my money, even though I was promised I would be if I didn't do any better. I wrote a nasty email to the director of the center and I still haven't received any word from him (or any of my money back), although Kaplan has offered to let me take classes for a "nominal fee of $400." YEAH, RIGHT.

Everybody, DO NOT USE KAPLAN! They will screw you like they did to me! Also, PLEASE spread the word, so that other people are not robbed of their $1100 and their precious time!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 09:45:03 AM »
I have heard that many of the test prep courses do actually help you, unfortunately it sounds like you have sour grapes for their program becasue you didn't do so well.  I apologize for coming on so strong but you need to puy forth the effort as well as they do.  The fact that your score should improve by 7.2 points is primarily based on a huge scale average where some do not improve and some hit way over target.  I think that you should retest if you have any specific questions just reply back.

Ivy_Hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 09:30:54 PM »
Also you should have researched many other prep courses, if you were confident after receiving the 165, you should have stopped there and tested THEN. I am sorry, I do not undertand why they "robbed" you of your money back gaurantee... Where was the center (city, state, schol [if any]) you took the course/ and/or LSAT

Ivy_Hopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 07:39:15 PM »
Good advice, and I am using Cracking the LSAT as my primary book preperation, and I am also taking a Kaplan prep course (with my study emphasis on their course.  It is unfortunate that someone did poorly based on a certain prep strategy, whereas others have flourished.  All you need to do is use a technique that is best for your study habits and everything else should fall into place. You should still definitely get your money back (since there is a score increase gaurantee).  Good luck in all that you accomplish.

LawEcon

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
Re:LSAT TAKERS! DO NOT USE KAPLAN
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 04:26:21 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Kaplan.  If you indeed scored a 165 on the diagnostic, and then a 149 on the real thing, you have every right to receive your money back, given that you did all the required work and reported your score within 90 days of the completion of your course.

It's quite possible that, as other people here have mentioned, the methods just didn't click with you, or that you were having difficulty applying them.  Since you stated that you were studying 20 hrs. per week, and since all the material in the Kaplan lesson book comes from real LSATs, I'm wondering why your difficulty with the methods didn't reveal itself to you sooner.  If it did, was it brought to your instructor's attention, and if your instructor knew, what was the response?  

Also, how did you perform on the 3 to 5 additional full-length exams given as part of the course, not to mention the extra practice tests you mentioned taking?  Were your scores at the level of your diagnostic, or was the diagnostic higher than any of the subsequent tests?  If you felt that you "aced" the real exam, and yet in reality answered about 45 questions incorrectly, is this consistent with your prior expectations and results?

It's important to realize that prep courses (Kaplan or otherwise) don't just wave a wand at students to bring about score increases.  They formalize and teach test insights that would normally take students a much longer period of self-study to achieve, if they are achieved at all.  And once these insights are learned, your ultimate score is determined by more than just their correct application.  Since the LSAT is highly timed, your ability to break down the argument and find the information needed to apply the methods has to be sharp.  This ability is normally honed through practice.  It also goes without saying that one has to learn how to deal with the inevitable stresses that go along with taking any high-stakes exam.

Again, without knowing how you were performing on your previous tests, and how these other factors affected your score, it's unclear what went wrong from your diagnostic to the real test.  Hopefully things have worked out for you since you first posted.

LSAT Problem

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 12:25:06 PM »
Hello-
     I have just graduated from DeVry University with a 3.2GPA, and have started to study for my LSAT's.  I took the Kaplan course once and did not feel I was completely ready to take the actual exam.  I scored a 137 on my pratice exams.  I am wondering if there are any inspiring stories out there that will give in hope and in scoring higher on the LSAT, and on becoming a good lawyer.  I am very disappointed please give me advise on what I should do!!    

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 09:58:53 AM »
I would suggest visiting and trying www.acethelsat.com ... compared against other prep courses, they simplify the process to an understandable and effective attack for the exam. I did well using their techniques; scored in the middle 160s

Ghost

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 01:30:22 PM »
Best way to practice for the LSAT is study hard, 'breath the LSAT' as some have put it, and take as many pre-administered LSATs.  Bottom line, STUDY STUDY STUDY!

Sources for Study?  LSAC's 10 actual LSATs and 10 more actual LSACs (Total of 20 pre-administered test)  Use atleast one study guide to help you pick up on a few strategies to LSAT problems.  

VERY IMPORTANT!  Take the practice tests under the same circumstances as required.  In otherwords, don't cheat yourself by making exceptions on time.  Stick to 35 mins per section, not a minute less, not a minute more.    

Ghost

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 01:31:29 PM »
Best way to practice for the LSAT is study hard, 'breath the LSAT' as some have put it, and take as many pre-administered LSATs.  Bottom line, STUDY STUDY STUDY!

Sources for Study?  LSAC's 10 actual LSATs and 10 more actual LSACs (Total of 20 pre-administered test)  Use atleast one study guide to help you pick up on a few strategies to LSAT problems.  

VERY IMPORTANT!  Take the practice tests under the same circumstances as required.  In otherwords, don't cheat yourself by making exceptions on time.  Stick to 35 mins per section, not a minute less, not a minute more.    

gpv00

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 01:46:23 AM »
Kaplan does suck. Thank God I got my $1100 back. Later.