Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What if UVA and Berkley had to admit 75% of class from instate?  (Read 1856 times)

QuickOats

• Tar Heel 4 Life
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some in state schools, like UNC, have to adhere to a state mandate that says you have to admit a disporportionate amount of students from in state.  What if UVA and Boalt had to do this, would they still be ranked as high?
God must be a Tarheel.  If not, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?

ccorsi

Re: What if UVA and Berkley had to admit 75% of class from instate?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 11:21:33 PM »
Of course the answer is no.

C2

the REAL desi

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 11:23:59 PM »
Some in state schools, like UNC, have to adhere to a state mandate that says you have to admit a disporportionate amount of students from in state.  What if UVA and Boalt had to do this, would they still be ranked as high?

no, they'd be like TTTexas. 

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 11:28:12 PM »
Only a couple years ago, UVA still required 60% in state, now its 35 or 40%.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 03:07:44 AM »
No. 

The same would be true of HYS. 

But given that this isn't the case at any of those schools, this is all irrelevant.  (Unless you feel student body quality shouldn't be a factor in rankings.)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 12:17:57 PM »
I wonder how high of an LSAT I would need to get into UVA instate. I am retaking it (got a 163 so far) and likely moving to VA for a job this summer.

in-state, woohoo! Too bad that aren't mandated at 60% anymore
(163+172)/3.5

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 12:19:21 PM »
Most states have residency requirements beyond living their currently to be accepted as in-state.

Such as driver's license, voting records, etc.

C2

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »
gabeo:

163 will not cut it. I am instate and it only got me waitlisted.

Nor will moving to VA for the summer before applying. To get instate residency, you must live there for 12 months minimum before you apply to the school. Similarly, if there is anything atypical about your application, they make you fill out a long form asking to be considered instate. Consider my situation. I lived in VA full time for 18 years, and left only to go to college. I returned each summer to live and work in the state. My parents still live there, my drivers license is from there, I vote there, and I pay taxes there. Still, I had to "apply" to be considered instate. They are very stringent about this, and specifically say they look to make sure you did not just move there to be considered instate, or for the purpose of attending school.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 06:36:21 PM »
There were a couple of false statements about in-state UVA in preceding posts! Please check your info, since ignorant soles might use it to base poor decisions.

You must live their 12 months minimum before starting school NOT before applying. This statement came from statements from UVA as well as state mandated rules cited in the below URL.

If I move to VA it will be for a job (I said this in my post above). Of course I will change registrations/driving lic/etc. Of course  ::) I know a 163 won't cut it... that is why I mentioned I was re-taking LSAT.

When I ask for an opinion of how much higher I need to get (being in-state) for a shot at UVA, there is no point in saying "a 163 won't cut it." I know this, that is why I asked question...

http://www.law.virginia.edu/home2002/html/prospectives/va.htm
(163+172)/3.5

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 07:47:49 PM »
Because UVA Law is basically being run like a private school, I would say that, anymore, being instate does not help much.