Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Intellectual Property Law  (Read 700 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Intellectual Property Law
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »
Is it absolutely imperative to have a science or engineering background to get into intellectual property law?  Just curious to hear from anyone with knowledge on the subject.

the REAL desi

Re: Intellectual Property Law
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 11:23:22 PM »
Is it absolutely imperative to have a science or engineering background to get into intellectual property law?  Just curious to hear from anyone with knowledge on the subject.

i'm surprised that people ask this question anymore, especially when a quick thread search or google will answer your question.

Yes and No.

Yes for patent prosecution.

No for trademarks, copyrights, and all IP litigation. 

The firms that hire for IP generally look for students 1) with a science background and competitive class rank; or 2) no science background and top of the class.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 11:25:53 PM »
no, that a science background is only required to take the patent exam, to be admitted to litigate in patent matters. If u do not have a science background, u can still go into the other 3 areas of IP which are, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. That said, i'd day about half of the IP jobs out there are for patents. Further, some firms like attorneys to crossover and work in patents/trademarks/copyrights (the smaller ones that dont/cant afford to specialize).

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 11:27:16 PM »
yeah, thats what i meant - patent prosecution.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
Hey Bubazz -

Is it necessary for you to criticize my question before you answer?  98% of information that people request on these posts is readily accessible by some form of internet research.  I was under the impression that this discussion board was for aspiring law students to share information......... 

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 11:30:33 AM »
loulielawyer - learn to read. eva criticized ur post. i tried to be helpful and answered ur post.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »
Sorry Bubazz.  My mistake. ::)

lex19

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 12:58:58 PM »
hey what do you guys think, i am 90% sure that i want to do trademark & copyright law after I graduate, and have been planning on this for about three years...i was admitted to W&L this past week and although their rank & resources are far superior to Depaul i do need to think about what both have to offer as far as IP is concerned...i wan't accepted into Depaul's IP writing and haven't heard the best about Prof. Kwall's (IP head) attitude toward students who aren't in the writing program and want to pursue IP at Depaul.....but then again W&L doesn't have the IP program or concentration that Depaul does....what do you guys think....i'm leaning towards W&L b/c i'm a prestige whore and want to go to the best school possible, plus their small student body and low cost of living is very attractive...in fact the only way i'd probably go to depaul is b/c of their IP program and from what everyone and their mom has been saying everywhere i turn, i should go to the school with the highest rank...

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 02:26:13 PM »

Just to chime in. No it is not currently necessary, but since there is an ever-growing number of students graduating with "IP Certificates," I predict that in the future (3-5 years), having a science degree will be the only reasonably certain way to even break in on the ground floor. And, when you do get the job, you will be at a disadvantage to those with technical backgrounds.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
In order to take the patent bar exam, which is different than the bar exam, you need a certain amount of credits.  For example, one way you can qualify is if you have 24 (or is it 30) chemistry credits.  There are course requirements that will qualify you.  There is a website; however, I'm sorry I don't have it here.

That being said, you don't necessarily have to practice patent law to practice intellectual property.  I have heard that is very hard to get hire without it though.  Good luck!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."