Law School Discussion

Duke vs. UVA

Duke vs. UVA
« on: April 30, 2005, 05:31:35 PM »
Hi,

Am I making a big mistake if I go to Duke rather than UVA? 

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
Re: Duke vs. UVA
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »
no

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »
Absolutely not. They are equal schools and how well you will do in your career will be based your individual efforts rather than if you went to Duke or UVA.  This is not just my own opinion but that of a managing partner at a major DC law firm as well. 

If you wanted to go to Duke over HYS than it is a different story.   

king

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 05:48:56 PM »
Hi,

Before long there will be people here who will tell you how UVA is a cleary a better school blah blah blah blah blad blah blah.

I just want to paraphrase my prelaw advisor at Stanford.  She says that immature prelaw students basially waste their time and energies trying to "rank" similar schools based this or that survey.     

In short going to Duke will give you the same opportunities in life as UVA. 

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:44:32 PM »
It should be noted that both King and Michaelduke are apparently Duke students.

However, I certainly don't think you'd be ruining your life by choosing Duke over UVa. The student bodies at both schools are certainly comparable. 

I don't think there's any question that UVa has a somewhat better faculty, a somewhat stronger national reputation, and somewhat more national placement.  It's also a somewhat better school for academia and clerkships.  So if I were evenly split, I'd go with UVa.

But Duke is also strong in all those areas, and will do well in Biglaw placement generally.  If you have a strong personal preference for Duke's location, class size, etc., there's nothing wrong with choosing Duke.

king

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:18:32 AM »
Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

King is going to NYU (admitted after being waitlisted) for law school and my undergrad school was Stanford.

I have no relations to Duke except being waitlisted then rejected by its law school >:(.

I was also accepted to Michigan directly (without being on the waitlist first), so much for your theory that Duke is easy to get in.       

However, I certainly don't think you'd be ruining your life by choosing Duke over UVa. The student bodies at both schools are certainly comparable. 

I don't think there's any question that UVa has a somewhat better faculty, a somewhat stronger national reputation, and somewhat more national placement.  It's also a somewhat better school for academia and clerkships.  So if I were evenly split, I'd go with UVa.

But Duke is also strong in all those areas, and will do well in Biglaw placement generally.  If you have a strong personal preference for Duke's location, class size, etc., there's nothing wrong with choosing Duke.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:42:20 PM »
Hi,

No you are not. 

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »
your future as an attorney will depend more on what you do as a law student at either school than what the either of these two schools can do for you.  go where you think you will thrive.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 04:40:11 PM »
there really isn't that big a difference in what these schools will do for you. Going to Duke isn't a mistake at all if that is where yoou want to be.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 06:41:40 AM »
That's only two wrongs.   ;)

As for your last point, which I never mentioned in this thread, if you really got into Michigan, and dinged by Duke, then you would be an anomaly.  Not only is Michigan harder to get into overall, it actually has a higher LSAT range.  However, Michigan is also less numbers focused than most top schools, which could explain why someone from Stanford might theoretically be accepted to Michigan, and dinged by Duke. 

EDIT:  After noting that you were accepted to NYU, I'm going to have to say your ding at Duke was probably the result of yield protection. When they didn't hear back from you about the waitlist, they probably figured you weren't interested.

Either way, I never said it was easy to get into Duke.  It's just easier than getting into most higher-ranked schools.

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

King is going to NYU (admitted after being waitlisted) for law school and my undergrad school was Stanford.

I have no relations to Duke except being waitlisted then rejected by its law school >:(.

I was also accepted to Michigan directly (without being on the waitlist first), so much for your theory that Duke is easy to get in.