Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Admitted Students Day  (Read 675 times)

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Syracuse Admitted Students Day
« on: April 30, 2005, 12:21:52 PM »
Ok. So .I just got back from visiting Syracuse yesterday.  I know alot of peeps have been recently accepted so this should help a bit :)  As of right now unless I get off the waitlists from my dream schools or get a response from villanova, I am going to go to Syracuse over Penn State Dickinson...however, it's not perfect there are some concerns.  Ok so here it goes.

I was totally impressed with the schools facilites. I probalby want to do IP law, but I was a science major (and got a master in biomed science) and they have a whole SUNTEC center set up for law technology and science and a program called law, science, and technolgy that just got a million dollar donation. Theyt also have a science and tech. law journal that you have to be top 15% of the class to get in.  The library seems really nice with four floors and the classroom I sat in on a class at was up to date and modern and just how you would picture a classroom to be (I was diaspointed with dickinson's classrooms seemed old and dingy).  The other prospective studens and current students were awesome. They seemed to be on the same level intellectually and were from decent undergrads and well -rounded. The current students bent over backwards to help yo.  The campus was really nice and has a little "Corner" of bars and stores and the law school is right next to the dome..whcih from me I am quite psyced to get to see some real bball and football since I went to div. 3 college.  I am also jJewish and it being passover and at the lunchesa nd breakfast having them consider that and having matzah and other stuff impressed me as well (but that's just me :) )
Ok. things I am somewhat worried about.  The class I sat in on had an awesome professor. It was health law with prof. Bell. Howver, he was the only professor I came inc ontact with so I feel as if I didn't get to get a feeling for the profs. Whenever I asked someone abotu the prof and the aloof rep. the student kinda stared and me and i kept getting the same resonse "some are good some are bad"  Also when asked about th grad curve they had recently just changed it and have a C grad curve for the firs tyears and a B grade curve for the 2nd two yeras.  The students were not aware of this but one of htem asked the dean who seemed like a "B" and she said that to me in a sorta mean tone.  I didn't like her at all!! Howeve, with all the problems with her it was sorta hush hush mentioned that she might be leaving.  I was worried i would be stuck in NY state but anyone who is worried about that don't be. Most poeple I talked to told me they know lots of people that graduated from there nad odn't work in NY. And they have alot of alumni in DC, NYC, and actually california (which I know another poster is from ..sbut sorry i can't remembver the name of who it was :) )  Anyway, typically alot of students come form california nad minnesota so they hve alot of alumni that go back there.  And i know it's werid, but i realliy think that their bball reputation will make it easier to get a job then some other schools of the same ranking level.. but maybe i'm just hoping. anyway if you have any specific questoin you can PM me or post it here and i'll try to answer. overall I def. l.iked the studetns tho and it seemed like a great social life and bond is there... but I do have a cousin tha goes there and he says expect B's and C's as teh typical grades.. which seems sucky.. but this kinda seems like how law schools are. 
I love my philly phanatic :)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse Admitted Students Day
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 05:12:05 PM »
Hey there,

I am considering Syracuse too and I am visiting next week.  Can you tell me about the city of Syracuse?  I have heard mixed things about it.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »
There doesn;t seem to be much around the school but there is an area of restaurants and bars and stuff.  Then you can hop on the highway and there's a huge mall and like normal restuarants nad stuff just one exit away in Dewitt. Plus the food shopping is done at Wegmans which is the best store! I don't know much about the city of syracuse tho cause I didn't really see anything there.
I love my philly phanatic :)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 09:18:17 PM »
The reason I ask is that I was told the crime is bad there and there aren't too many nice neighborhoods.  It was probably just exaggerated...... Sounds alright to me.  Did you get a sense of the housing in the area?

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 02:58:42 AM »
I drove around the area and noticed some good and some bad areas.  I wouldnt suggest getting your apt before visiting the area.  Im looking at getting a place as close to campus and in the nicest area possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 12:25:53 AM »
I went to SU undergrad and never really felt safe because it's in a dangerous area.  Don't walk around alone at night if you can help it.  However the crime shouldn't stop you from attending and enjoying your time up there.  No one I know (take that as you will) has been a victim of serious harm and anyways most law students live far enough from campus in Nob Hill that they're away from the more serious crime.

The downtown area grew on me throughout the years and my friends and I found plenty of cool places for dinner and drinks.  I miss it.  The shopping is ok at the mall but don't expect much downtown.  You might feel landlocked but there's plenty of nature stuff to do in central NY.  Oh, and the local Wegmans is 24 hours.  Hope this info answers some of your concerns.