Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

which one should I choose?

Go to Duke (the prestige is too important)
St. John's (save the money)

Author Topic: deleted  (Read 2227 times)

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
deleted
« on: April 30, 2005, 12:28:45 AM »
OK, decision time. 

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Duke vs. St. John's (please contribute your opinion)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 12:39:41 AM »
Duke will open far more opportunities in Biglaw and the difference in loans will be more than made up for by the increased salaries and job opportunities tied with the prestige of Duke
Current 1L

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »
Surprisingly, not everyone wants to work in BIGLAW.

Surprisingly.

Every goddamned post I read in response to a question like this brings up friggin' BIGLAW. Do people here realize that just because you go to, say, a T14, that doesn't mean that 99% of the class goes into BIGLAW? Significant amounts of people go into public interest, government, small firms, etc. Jesus.
SMU Fall '05

gremlin000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 02:33:36 AM »
I agree.  Although I am not going to be attending a T14, I don't see why people there would be any more motivated than me to work for BIGLAW.  Some people out there, such as myself, see the value in working for firms that don't just have an army of replaceable lawyers all cutting throats to make partner.  Indeed, it is likely the best way to make the most money in law right now, but at the same time, people are weighting that against the investment necessary.  To each his/her own.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 02:34:57 AM »
Every goddamned post I read in response to a question like this brings up friggin' BIGLAW. Do people here realize that just because you go to, say, a T14, that doesn't mean that 99% of the class goes into BIGLAW? Significant amounts of people go into public interest, government, small firms, etc. Jesus.

Maybe that's because the original poster said he wanted to work in biglaw. So maybe he should go to duke where he actually has a very good chance of getting a biglaw job if he's in the top half versus st john's where he will have to fight hard to get in the top 10%.

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 02:37:22 AM »

Maybe that's because the original poster said he wanted to work in biglaw. So maybe he should go to duke where he actually has a very good chance of getting a biglaw job if he's in the top half versus st john's where he will have to fight hard to get in the top 10%.

You know what, you're completely right, I didn't read the post. And I'm drunk. Apologies.

However, I wanted to say that, so I'm glad I got it out there.
SMU Fall '05

AubZamZam

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 10:31:43 AM »
Duke.  Absolutely no question about it.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 10:36:21 AM »
My vote is St. John's.  Big law sounds good now, but zero debt I know will sound (and feel) better later.

If you really, really, really think that big law is the way to go for you, then go to Duke.  I think you'll regret the decision.  My experience with LSD is that people make up their own minds, regardless of what posters say when solicited for advice.

newguy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 12:20:02 PM »
I could understand turning down a semi-big scholarship to go to Duke, but a full ride is another matter. Theres something to be said for coming out of law school w/ $0 in loans & having every penney that u make thereafter be profit. If you have the money to spend tens of thousands a year of Duke, God bless you. But, if I were you, I'd take the money & run

jdw112

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 12:45:31 PM »
Go to Duke. Duke with 9K beats St. John's with a full ride. We can all pretend prestige doesn't matter, but in our hearts we all know that it does, and it is terribly important in Biglaw. Duke oozes prestige; St. John's is crumbsnatching for it. I consider this a no-brainer, sorry. It would really suck to take the money at St. John's and not be able to crack Biglaw and end up with a mediocre salary somewhere. What was the money worth then? Gaze in to the crystal ball. If it tells you Saint John's will deliver Biglaw, and you can make it to the top of your class, go for it.

OK, decision time. 

Should I accept a full tuition scholarship to St. John's in Queens, NY or attend Duke (with a 9K scholarship per year)?  I will paying for the whole cost of law school using loans.  And my goal is securing a Biglaw job, at least initially. 

I am leaning toward one option, but would love to hear feedbacks. 

Thank you in advance and enjoy your weekend.