Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LEEWS Question  (Read 2665 times)

ErinKG

• View Profile
LEEWS Question
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:47:18 PM »
I just received LEEWS (bought via the Barrister books website) and I'm confused by something. In several places, it is noted that if you attempt to 'download' the cds to your harddrive, it will render the CDs inoperable except on a regular cd player and may damage your computer cd drive. WTF? I can't think of any way that this could be possible. Can anyone verify that this is a total lie? It's weird to me that they could publish such blatant lies.

Erin

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWS Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »
The new Cds have this technology. Most music Cds you buy now if you try to copy it to your hard drive it will mess up your computer or are inoperable. I wouldn't even try it. Why are you trying to burn Leews?

I just received LEEWS (bought via the Barrister books website) and I'm confused by something. In several places, it is noted that if you attempt to 'download' the cds to your harddrive, it will render the CDs inoperable except on a regular cd player and may damage your computer cd drive. WTF? I can't think of any way that this could be possible. Can anyone verify that this is a total lie? It's weird to me that they could publish such blatant lies.

Erin

funkmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 01:38:39 AM »
generally, how those things work is that when you first pop it in, it installs a piece of software via window xp and its autoplay feature.  just make sure autoplay is turned off and you should be fine.  that said, i'm not responsible for anything that happens to your computer  ;)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 01:51:47 AM »
I just got LEEWS too. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this thing works wonders for my writing and exams...probably not.
I will miss LA :-(

gmon72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 02:26:53 AM »
mine came yesterday.  Think I am going to try to listen after I do some other prep.  Gotta get them on my ipod this weekend.

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 02:58:08 AM »
I'm not trying to burn LEEWS, I want to get it in iTunes to make it easier to listen to. I don't want to have to be switching out CDs as I go. That's a pain. Plus, I might want it on my ipod to listen to in the car.

I'm going to try it without the autoplay. I've never heard of an 'autodestruct' cd, which is basically what they are claiming these are. If the program it installs messes up my machine, I'll just reinstall the OS.

hotguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 08:28:20 AM »
Yup, it's a total lie.  What they are claiming is impossibele.  I've already burned one set for a pre-law friend, and I have the whole thing in MP3s.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 02:10:37 PM »
Yup, it's a total lie.  What they are claiming is impossibele.  I've already burned one set for a pre-law friend, and I have the whole thing in MP3s.

Somebody loaned me their LEEWS and it is missing 3 tapes out of the 6 part series. Can you tell me the names of the ones that I am missing? I have the "Introduction," "Issue Identification" and "Abbreviated exam" Do you know the names of the other 3 tapes/Cd's?

And, do you know where I could find them on MP3? Has anyone put them up on kazaa yet?

BAFF213

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 07:52:16 PM »
tag

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 12:55:31 AM »
generally, how those things work is that when you first pop it in, it installs a piece of software via window xp and its autoplay feature.  just make sure autoplay is turned off and you should be fine.  that said, i'm not responsible for anything that happens to your computer  ;)

This is basically the only way that they could hinder you from copying the CDs. In the end, CDs are just a string of 1's and 0's. There are a bunch of ways to copy them and there is nothing that distributors can do to stop it.