Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA  (Read 818 times)

fls22

• View Profile
UVA
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:19:41 PM »
Hi everyone...I'm new to this board,and was wondering if anyone on here attends UVA or is planning on attending in the fall. I come from a school in a urban setting with a strong black community, and I had every intention of attending law school in a big city. However, financial contraints are making it difficult to turn down UVA's scholarship money. Does anyone know anything about the UVA black community/social scene? Any additional feedback would be helpful, as I have not been able to visit and won't be able to for awhile. Could a city girl be happy (or at least not depressed) in Charlottesville?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: UVA
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 03:06:20 AM »
Hi everyone...I'm new to this board,and was wondering if anyone on here attends UVA or is planning on attending in the fall. I come from a school in a urban setting with a strong black community, and I had every intention of attending law school in a big city. However, financial contraints are making it difficult to turn down UVA's scholarship money. Does anyone know anything about the UVA black community/social scene? Any additional feedback would be helpful, as I have not been able to visit and won't be able to for awhile. Could a city girl be happy (or at least not depressed) in Charlottesville?

First, congrats on your acceptance and money at UVA.  That is very impressive.  Ok, now on to your questions.  I am from the DC area, but I am not sure about the black community/social scene in Charlottsville, however, I like to think of things in this manner.  You can be happy in Charlottsville and not be depressed.  You are only going to be there for 3 years.  You dont plan on moving there and living your life there.  You can be happy anywhere for three years.  The DC area is not that far away from my understanding, so if you get that depressed, you can hop in your car and visit chocolate city.  As with anything you do, life is what you make it.  Tell yourself you will be happy there and you will, tell yourself you wont be and.....  I would check on line and find out what others think from those law school surveys and general on line research about the Charlottsville area. 

Here, try this link, there is only one review, but perhaps it will instill a bit more confidence http://www.4law.net/rating/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=1a61ca608187e853eb0b66e0a5ea976a&cmd=details&itemid=185
Back in the saddle again.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 03:14:12 AM »

PM Burning Sands he can get you in contact with the new elect chairman of NBLSA she attends UVA

faith2005

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »
hey, feel free to message me. i am thinking about uva pretty seriously. i am still on a couple of waitlists though. did you visit over admit weekend? i did and met some folks, including the National BLSA president that omegaman was talking about. i could write more...make sure you message me.  :)

omegaman--this is unrelated, but how/why do you know so much about Islam?

Cyndra

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 07:46:43 PM »
Hi FLS. I too went to a school in an urban setting and will be attending UVA, so I know what you mean. But UVA is a great school and is in a great location. People call it a small city, but I'm from a Chicago suburb, and it's a whole lot bigger than where I'm originally from. And I went to college in the city of Chicago, and I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything by attending. They've got malls, theaters, and tons of restaurants. It didn't have that college-town feel that I felt at other small-town schools. I really liked it.

My mom visited with me earlier this month and she was very concerned about the number of minorities, or lack thereof. I worried about whether or not I'd be the only person of color in my section, where I'd get my hair done, all kinds of stuff. But our fears were unfounded. But I found that there are black people in C'ville, and they have a very strong BLSA at UVA as well.

I looked at an apt while visiting there and the renter, who was a black woman, reached out to me, saying she had a friend who could help me get a legal job over the summers (forgot what her friend does) and get me in contact with some people who could help me build a network down there, because, as she put it, there needs to be more of "us" in the profession. It's great. I've emailed her to tell her I won't be renting the property she showed me, but she told me to be sure to look her up when I come down anyway, to help me with networking. And I told my doctor (a black woman) the other day that I will be moving to attend UVA, and she said she has lots of family there. She told me that once I find a place, to get in touch with her so that she can hook me up with her uncle and grandfather who are there, because "they cook" as she put it.

I'm very happy with my decision to attend UVA. I don't feel that I am making a compromise in any respect. If you can, visit. Everyone was wonderful. I worried about being in the South as a minority, but again, that fear was unfounded. It's a great little place, you'll see. Good luck. PM me if you'd like. Otherwise, hope to meet you in the fall!!