Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara - Who's Going?  (Read 584 times)

Surreal

• View Profile
Santa Clara - Who's Going?
« on: April 29, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
i went to the admitted students day this past weekend and am pretty sure i'll be here in august.

anyone else decided on scu?
any advice on finding an apt?
Yes: Arizona State, Santa Clara ($$)
No: Colorado, Illinois, Seattle, Temple, Loyola - L.A.
Hold/Wait: Wisconsin, Villanova, McGeorge
Pending: Lewis & Clark

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara - Who's Going?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »
I am most likely going there too. Unfortunately, i will not be able to visit. If you can, would you post a mini-review of the school's facilities and other things you noticed of interest?

Will you not be living in the Law student housing? I am looking forward to the little townhouse places. I hope there will still be some left for me.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:44:41 PM »
I'll be going, already have both tuition deposits paid and my apartment.  Cheers.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ZildjianKX
Accepted: Santa Clara (will attend 2005 FT), UOP
Waitlisted: University of Oregon, Lewis & Clark, Pepperdine, Loyla LA, UNLV
Rejected: USF, Davis

I am the king of waitlists!

A.J

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »
Great looking school.  I almost thought about trying one of those hot and sunny CA girls...I mean schools.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 11:05:55 PM »
Haven't heard from them yet, but the facilities are both beautiful and awesome. Santa Clara is an adorable town with tons of history. However, I grew up there and wouldn't go back.

Surreal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 10:31:42 AM »
I am most likely going there too. Unfortunately, i will not be able to visit. If you can, would you post a mini-review of the school's facilities and other things you noticed of interest?

Will you not be living in the Law student housing? I am looking forward to the little townhouse places. I hope there will still be some left for me.

Campus – Beautiful by my standards. Lots of greenery. The buildings I visited were all clean and modern looking. The classroom where the main part of the orientation was held had laptop hookups for each seat :)  The law school is a part of the main campus so lots of undergrads around.

Orientation – I guess it was a typical ‘Admitted Students’ day w/ info about the school in general, career placement, fin aid, what to expect from the 1st year, etc… There were sections that focused on SCU’s specialty areas: IP, International, and Public Service/Social Justice so people interested could break off in groups and hear more about them.

Housing – I’m a mother, so no, I won’t be living in the SCU housing. They don’t have apartments for families.

The Library – It seemed small, but we only saw the first floor. Maybe there were more seats on the 2nd floor.

I’m not sure how many students are enrolled in the law school but the ones I saw all seemed to know each other. So it felt like a small-school which can be good or bad depending on what you like.

Random Observations:
Of the prospective 1L’s I met
--Only a few others were from out-of-state (including me)
--There were a lot of Asian Americans, and a couple of African Americans

BLSA (Black Law Students Assoc)
--The president was there and very friendly. She talked to me for a long time about SCU and the city

Transportation
--The Bay Area seems to have an excellent transportation system
--Still, I think Santa Clara is a city where you’d want to have a car, but someone who’s from there could probably tell you better

Yes: Arizona State, Santa Clara ($$)
No: Colorado, Illinois, Seattle, Temple, Loyola - L.A.
Hold/Wait: Wisconsin, Villanova, McGeorge
Pending: Lewis & Clark