Law School Discussion

WUSTL or W&L with money?

BAFF213

Re: WUSTL or W&L with money?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 04:40:28 PM »
interesting thread - tag

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 04:49:59 PM »
thats a tuff decision- neither are really good for biglaw in the notheast.  if you are including dc in your def of northeast then def take WL- i think WL is a better overall school but i could be biased

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 04:53:41 PM »
W&L definitely because of the money.  Plus WashU's high ranking is pretty new.  People making hiring decisions (older partners) probably have a better opinion of W&L than WashU. 

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 05:13:18 PM »
W&L definitely because of the money.  Plus WashU's high ranking is pretty new.  People making hiring decisions (older partners) probably have a better opinion of W&L than WashU. 

but W&L has slipped of late.... they have consistently been in the top 20 (albeit at 19 and 20 year after year) but in the last two, they've been outside it, and although one or two spots honestly do not matter, i am unsure if this is an anomaly or a trend of things to come.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 05:15:01 PM »

but W&L has slipped of late.... they have consistently been in the top 20 (albeit at 19 and 20 year after year) but in the last two, they've been outside it, and although one or two spots honestly do not matter, i am unsure if this is an anomaly or a trend of things to come.

You really put THAT much faith in magazine rankings?

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 05:21:05 PM »
teh drop wasnt that big- 20 to 23 to 22- so thats about 2/3 spots lower then they were a few years before that- go way back and wl seems pretty constant between 19 and 22ish

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 05:23:22 PM »
I think it's smart to think about future rankings.  However, ranking matters most when you're looking for your job.  After that you'll be judged on your abilities as a lawyer. 

As far as the future is concerned, although it's impossible to predict where a school will be ranked, I think long-term WashU is a better bet than W&L because of the prestige of its undergrad and several of its graduate programs.  Plus it seems to have a lot of money to hire respected professors. 

But what really matters to you is the impressions of hiring partners three years from now and W&L has historically had a better reputation. 

But the money really is what's most important, IMHO.  Opportunities from both schools will be about the same so why pay more for WashU?  I suppose each will place better in their regions.  So if you're dead set on working in Omaha or Kansas City, then WaashU is probably better. 

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »

You really put THAT much faith in magazine rankings?

in terms of entering the job market 5 years from now, and from what i've heard regarding employment opportunities, i can't help but to. many lawyers that i've talked to have straight up told me, if i want to be doing what i want to be doing (that is, have some semblance of control of where i work, what i do, etc) it's unwise going to a school outside top 14 and waste of time and money going to a school outside top 20... and i guess W&L is borderline... plus i seem to rather like the school, which is why it's in contention at all.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 05:29:04 PM »
i def dont think washu will be better then wl down the road- i think they will be about equal- like washu, wl has a very strong undergrad and also has a lot of money to throw around at  good people- wl should stay a top20ish school and over time i think washu will be around there too

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 05:32:08 PM »
i def dont think washu will be better then wl down the road- i think they will be about equal- like washu, wl has a very strong undergrad and also has a lot of money to throw around at  good people- wl should stay a top20ish school and over time i think washu will be around there too

yo looks like you'll be a 3L by the time i enter law school.....
hook me up with those handy outlines and past exams and such, yeah?  ;)