Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Food Stamps  (Read 5687 times)

M2

Re: Food Stamps
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 01:27:43 PM »
Well I know for a fact that in NYC you would be elligible (I know one law student and one business school student on  foodstamps)...but I can't speak of california

Welfare in NYC does require the above mentioned training but foodstamps alone do not.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 01:59:21 PM »
just take the extra 3k in loans already.. jeez. food stamps? that's f-ing insane. In fact, it's exactly "taking advantage"... the majority of us will come out making $120+k a year and loan payments will be an afterthought. there's no reason to use the system for food stamps...

I can't imagine rolling into a grocery store and trying to pay with food stamps.

Okay, so what about for people who plan to work in public interest and make $30-40k a year? Is it okay for them?

Personally, I think if it's there and you're eligible, you should take it.  If they didn't want grad students to use it they'd write the rules in such a way that you would not be eligible.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 02:12:59 PM »
just take the extra 3k in loans already.. jeez. food stamps? that's f-ing insane. In fact, it's exactly "taking advantage"... the majority of us will come out making $120+k a year and loan payments will be an afterthought. there's no reason to use the system for food stamps...

I can't imagine rolling into a grocery store and trying to pay with food stamps.

Okay, so what about for people who plan to work in public interest and make $30-40k a year? Is it okay for them?

Personally, I think if it's there and you're eligible, you should take it.  If they didn't want grad students to use it they'd write the rules in such a way that you would not be eligible.

If my taxes are paying for it, I will take advantage of it if necessary.  End of story.

Loyola LA Here I Come!!

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 02:44:33 PM »

If my taxes are paying for it, I will take advantage of it if necessary.  End of story.

Whether you paid taxes or not, you can take advantage of them if you qualify.  It's entirely up to you.

When I was in the army and supporting a family, I qualified for food stamps, but chose not to apply.  It was my choice and it's your choice to apply if you want.

As far as whether you qualify, the only opinion that matters is the person processing your application.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 03:07:44 PM »

Whether you paid taxes or not, you can take advantage of them if you qualify.  It's entirely up to you.

When I was in the army and supporting a family, I qualified for food stamps, but chose not to apply.  It was my choice and it's your choice to apply if you want.

As far as whether you qualify, the only opinion that matters is the person processing your application.

I doubt I'll apply if I qualify.  But if I need to I will.  And if you don't pay taxes then you shouldn't be eligible.  That is outrageous.  Everyone rapes the system.  The sad thing is I overheard 2 girls talking about welfare checks and food stamps and how they refuse to get higher paying jobs b/c they won't be able to collect anymore.  Go figure.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Chompster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 03:12:58 PM »
Geez...just setup a snare for small mammals or raid bird nests. It's that time of year. I've found two bird nests already.

Edit: after I posted the above, I saw what avatar I'd chosen.

jgruber

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 03:15:55 PM »
Food stamps are to help people in need, at least that was the intent.  Why would you make paying taxes a requirement for receiving help?

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 03:38:01 PM »

30-40K a year is too much, at least in Cali. we are talking under 15-18k / year in you are single. In order to qualify for FS at 40K a year, you would need about 9 dependants.

Either forget Cali FS, or get busy having fun!! ::)

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 04:45:34 PM »
Food stamps are to help people in need, at least that was the intent.  Why would you make paying taxes a requirement for receiving help?

So what you are implying is that anyone can come and partake of our resources without having given anything?  Brilliant.  That is why there is overpopulation and poverty here b/c people want to come to take without giving.  People pay taxes and when they are in need, reserves from taxes are there to help them out.  My family was dirt poor, and my dad worked as a pizza man, toner deliverer, and any other crap job to make ends meet. And he paid taxes.  And when that wasn't enough we had to use food stamps for a brief period of time.  THAT makes sense.  Sorry, I just think the other way of thinking is irrational.  Especially when resources are low. 
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »
Food stamps are not a quid pro quo.  they are supposed to be to keep people from starving.  Are you saying that no one can get any help unless they've already paid in?  What about children?  What about people who are incapable of contributing?  If I have a mental disease from birth that makes me incapable of producing income and thus paying taxes, should I be left to my own devices?