Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Food Stamps  (Read 5647 times)

thechoson

Re: Food Stamps
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 02:00:49 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster...

I would feel pretty strange trying to use food stamps to pay for my groceries lining up behind an unemployed single mom with 6 kids.

It was my decision to go out of state for law school. A lot of welfare users don't have the luxury of choice.

You know, I would expect nothing less from Batman.  Keep up the good work, you are my hero!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 02:13:11 AM »
Pride? I have no pride.  I will go to the grocery store, and bust out those food stamps, if it means I can eat something other than peanut butter or ramen noodles.  My freshman year in college, I ate cereal twice a day (cheap at costco) this wasn't fun.

I'm still eating ramen and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  So, I guess my diet during law school won't change much. 

I think that going to college is the best way to lose weight.  The college diet:  Drink lots of coffee.  Eat ramen 2x a day.  Buy an extra large pizza on Sunday, eat it for lunch and dinner for the rest of the week.  Or, just sleep off the hunger.

I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 02:49:43 AM »
Pride? I have no pride.  I will go to the grocery store, and bust out those food stamps, if it means I can eat something other than peanut butter or ramen noodles.  My freshman year in college, I ate cereal twice a day (cheap at costco) this wasn't fun.

I'm still eating ramen and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  So, I guess my diet during law school won't change much. 

I think that going to college is the best way to lose weight.  The college diet:  Drink lots of coffee.  Eat ramen 2x a day.  Buy an extra large pizza on Sunday, eat it for lunch and dinner for the rest of the week.  Or, just sleep off the hunger.

Hmm... hopefully you don't burn too many calories, or you might die

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 02:58:55 AM »

Hmm... hopefully you don't burn too many calories, or you might die

i need to change my diet.  like ruskiegirl, i'm fortunate to have good genes.  so, weight has not been an issue for me, but i definitely need to eat healthier! 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 03:21:26 AM »
My dining plan at Berkeley:

breakfast: a glass or orange of cranberry juice (i get sick from solid food in the morning)

lunch: a bento box from a good japanese place (hopefully for under 7 bucks)
dinner: something Russian that I will make enough of to last me the whole week
snack: something good and greasy: chips, fries, etc.

M2

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 09:50:25 AM »
If food stamps will help you get through lawschool then it is definitely worth looking into...

Why? becaause guess who will be paying a large amount of taxes on a 80-120k income...

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 10:08:10 AM »
i SERIOUSLY doubt that this is true.  that's just ridiculous!

M2

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:07 AM »

Actually it is true...anyone that is legally independent (i.e. 24 or older) with a sufficiently low enough income is elligible.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 12:12:44 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster...

I would feel pretty strange trying to use food stamps to pay for my groceries lining up behind an unemployed single mom with 6 kids.

It was my decision to go out of state for law school. A lot of welfare users don't have the luxury of choice.

They have a choice to use condoms.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 12:22:50 PM »

Actually it is true...anyone that is legally independent (i.e. 24 or older) with a sufficiently low enough income is elligible.

SHORT ANSWER - You are not eligible

LONG ANSWER-
sorry, but this is looking a little to simplistic at the reality.
In order to qualify for food stamps, you not only have to be low income, but at least in Cali, you also have to have qualifying training time. this means that you have to be in school or working at least "x" hours/week in an approved activity. And LS DOES NOT COUNT as an approved activity.. Only UG schooling or technical degrres (ITT-Tech) count. LS does not count because you have skills that would allow you to obtain employment and support yourself. Since you choose to go to LS instead of find work, you choose to not be eligible for welfare.

I was on the program for 2 years during UG. I (and my wife and daughter)could not have gotten through without it. It is a good program for those who use it like I did, to better them selves.