Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Food Stamps  (Read 5410 times)

ruskiegirl

Food Stamps
« on: June 01, 2004, 12:23:12 AM »
I heard that grad/law students were eligible for food stamps (assuming they have low or no income).  Is this true?

I'm poor and God knows my parents pay enough taxes, so if the program is available to me, I would definitely take advantage of it.

thechoson

Re: Food Stamps
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:26:14 AM »
So would I, I really want to know about this

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:32:05 AM »
Hmm... this sounds like a good idea.  I wonder if we do qualify.  I found this website with some information about who can qualify for food stamps.

http://library.lp.findlaw.com/articles/file/00045/006675/title/Subject/topic/Government%20Law_Federal%20Benefits/filename/governmentlaw_2_47
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 12:48:57 AM »
Hmm... this sounds like a good idea.  I wonder if we do qualify.  I found this website with some information about who can qualify for food stamps.

http://library.lp.findlaw.com/articles/file/00045/006675/title/Subject/topic/Government%20Law_Federal%20Benefits/filename/governmentlaw_2_47

Looks like it's worth a try.  It would be nice to decrease loans by at least what we would spend on food, since it is one of the largest categories of expense.

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 01:10:45 AM »
just take the extra 3k in loans already.. jeez. food stamps? that's f-ing insane. In fact, it's exactly "taking advantage"... the majority of us will come out making $120+k a year and loan payments will be an afterthought. there's no reason to use the system for food stamps...

I can't imagine rolling into a grocery store and trying to pay with food stamps.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 01:15:53 AM »
Dude, when you are borrowing 54k/yr saving 6k on food stamps is a substantial amount.  I don't think it's "working the system."  If you're poor and qualify, there's nothing wrong with getting them. 

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 01:16:53 AM »
I dunno... I just don't think social welfare systems are there for law students

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 01:23:05 AM »
Pride? I have no pride.  I will go to the grocery store, and bust out those food stamps, if it means I can eat something other than peanut butter or ramen noodles.  My freshman year in college, I ate cereal twice a day (cheap at costco) this wasn't fun.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 01:26:39 AM »
I dunno... I just don't think social welfare systems are there for law students
Why not?  It's temporary relief to those who are unable to pay for food otherwise. That describes many law students. Obviously, I don't plan to use it after law school. 

Batman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Batman0456
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 01:55:19 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster...

I would feel pretty strange trying to use food stamps to pay for my groceries lining up behind an unemployed single mom with 6 kids.

It was my decision to go out of state for law school. A lot of welfare users don't have the luxury of choice.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.