Law School Discussion

Food Stamps

Re: Food Stamps
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2004, 10:52:07 AM »
Law students have a college degree - right then and there they fall into a "privledged" class.  You may have little or no money going to Yale - but you have a degree, you could work (if you weren't in school) and you made the choice to go to Yale.

Ginatio

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2004, 10:55:28 AM »
not underpriveliged from a bank account point of view. underpriveliged from a social status point of view. law students have great earning potential as it is, and will have even greater earning potential after graduating. They may not have cash in the bank, but can you really call someone that can afford 50k to go to law school "underprivileged?" i dont think so.

law students by definition are not under priveliged?  How do you figure?  I can't be a student at a tier 1 school, on a full scholarship and still have little or no money?

I think you're making too many assumptions.

jgruber

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2004, 10:58:13 AM »
so you're saying that it is not possible to have a college degree and be in need?

Law students have a college degree - right then and there they fall into a "privledged" class.  You may have little or no money going to Yale - but you have a degree, you could work (if you weren't in school) and you made the choice to go to Yale.

Ginatio

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2004, 11:05:50 AM »
I'm saying that it is not possible to have a college degree AND be in law school AND be NEEDY aka destitute

so you're saying that it is not possible to have a college degree and be in need?

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2004, 11:06:16 AM »
"so you're saying that it is not possible to have a college degree and be in need?"

You can be - but if you are thinking about going to a school that costs somewhere around 7k-30k a year, you probably aren't in need.

jgruber

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2004, 11:08:25 AM »
probably, maybe.

but being a law student does not disqaulify immediately nor should it.  it is very possible to be a law student and be in great need.

not everyone is in school because they chose not to work.  it's just not that simple.

"so you're saying that it is not possible to have a college degree and be in need?"

You can be - but if you are thinking about going to a school that costs somewhere around 7k-30k a year, you probably aren't in need.

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2004, 11:13:41 AM »
It doens't disqualify you immediately - however according to the food stamp site it comes extremely close (http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/students.htm):

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for food stamps. However, students may be able to get food stamps if otherwise eligible and they:

Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program I don't know how many are involved with this
Take part in a State or federally financed work study program - first year students can't work most places so this is out
Work at least 20 hours a week same as above

The rest are mostly for students with children
Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;
Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or
Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:

A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998,
A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,
An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or
An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get food stamps if otherwise eligible.

jgruber

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2004, 11:15:54 AM »
OK.  Then I guess we agree.

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2004, 11:55:01 AM »
I can see how it seemed like I was attacking you, though. :-[ Sometimes I use "you" as an impersonal second person pronoun, where "one" might be more appropriate. Sowry

lol. calm down. i wasn't attacking you personally. just making a general point based on something you said (the taxes thing).

Like I said before, genius, if NECESSARY I will use them (like my dad was forced to).  I stated I would NOT use them in law school.  That is not NEED.  And I do plan on being on being a public interest lawyer.  I have been doing pub int. work for the last several years of my life.  Nowhere did I say I "deserved" them.  Stop making *&^% up and read what I said, not what you decided to twist my words into.  Have a nice evening!

lol, sorry I am just irritable...  i am on the atkins for 2 weeks to lose 5lbs before my bikini vacation and I am grumpy.... I don't really need to diet anyway.. lol, but i am a psycho virgo perfectionist!