Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL FULL RIDE PLUS STIPEND VS. CARDOZO and OTHERS ASAP BY TODAY  (Read 1580 times)

rdoug

• View Profile
Now I really don't know what to do.  I got a full ride with a stipend at Wash. U.  I am seriously considering it.  I have it down to Cardozo full tuition, NYU in A LOT OF DEBT, and WASH U.  I want to work in New York, but it's not the end of ym lfie if I don't end up there.  I am interested in working in big cities: chicago, dc, ny.  Right after school, I mgiht need to go to CT so I can be close to my boyfriend, whoc is finishing his PHD at Yale.  I know there are mixed reviews on this board about WUSTL- some people liek ti, some say it's overrated.  I liek St. Louis, so it's not an issue.  I am worried about placement.  However, given placment drawbacks is it worth the price (free)?  I would like some feedback and advice ASAP since I need to let Cardozo know very soon abotu their scholarship. 

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL FULL RIDE PLUS STIPEND VS. CARDOZO and OTHERS ASAP BY TODAY
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »
If you are sure to work in a big law firm in New York, play it safe and go to NYU.  You will earn back the $$$ quickly.   

Do you mind sharing your numbers (they must be wonderful)? 

Now I really don't know what to do.  I got a full ride with a stipend at Wash. U.  I am seriously considering it.  I have it down to Cardozo full tuition, NYU in A LOT OF DEBT, and WASH U.  I want to work in New York, but it's not the end of ym lfie if I don't end up there.  I am interested in working in big cities: chicago, dc, ny.  Right after school, I mgiht need to go to CT so I can be close to my boyfriend, whoc is finishing his PHD at Yale.  I know there are mixed reviews on this board about WUSTL- some people liek ti, some say it's overrated.  I liek St. Louis, so it's not an issue.  I am worried about placement.  However, given placment drawbacks is it worth the price (free)?  I would like some feedback and advice ASAP since I need to let Cardozo know very soon abotu their scholarship. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:34:23 PM »
You want to work in a big firm in NYC?  NYU is it.  Your salary will pay off those loans in a hurry.  If you are considering getting married and having kids in 5 years, you probably don't want the debt, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. 

Go for NYU and kick ass!

rdoug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:48:47 PM »
The thing is, I am not sure I want the big firm in NY.  It might be nice but I don't know whether I'd like it and I never particularly dreamed of it prior to applying to law school.  I think eventually I'd like to live in NY, but I don't like being tied down to one career path- corporate law or PI for at least five years through the LRAP.  With that debt, I fear that my lfie will be set back 5-10 years or so, and that kids will be pushed back.  I am not engaged, but this relationship is heading there.  In general, I've never been a person who likes being tied down to one path.  But I am intrigeud by the sorts of opportunties I could have at NYU-except, can i have them with the debt? 

My numbers are ok- 166/ 3.68   I am Hispanic, which makes me a hot commodity.  I'm actually surprised I got into NYU- I'm not in their index and since I've gotten that admission, I've been feeling stressed out about the decision and the debt.   That being said, I made a similar choice to the one I might make now- I passed on Duke with debt and went to carnegie mellon with a full-tuition scholarship for undergrad.  while law school is a very different enterprise, to some extent, one needs to take prestige with a grain of salt.  But i would like to meet ronald dworkin.....and posner when he comes and visits dworkin and nyu students get to critique his book! 

melville4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
Wash U isn't overrated, but it never will be better regarded than NYU.  You want to work in New York?  Go to NYU...easy decision.  If you are a big city girl, Wash U just isn't the wisest choice.  Debt is scary, but your career path will NOT at all be limited by going to NYU.  The other schools you mentioned, however, would limit what you could do.  Not that they aren't strong schools, but you would always have the pressure to be in the top percent of the class to have the opportunities practically any NYU grad would have. 

Also, NYU is much closer to New Haven than St. Louis is...

Good luck to you...

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 02:06:43 PM »
A check of Martindale.com revealed the following:

1444 Lawyers in New York State graduated from WUSTL
4946 Graduated from NYU

You could probably surf through them to find the ones that work in NYC, but I was too lazy for that!

Texas Tiger

• View Profile
    • Statistics
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:08:36 PM »
Most people will disagree with me, but if I were you, I would take the full ride.  WUSTL may not be of the caliber of NYU but it is still a good school.  And coming out of school debt fee would be huge.  Plus the Cost of Living in NY would force you to take out loans that would at least total $150K...probably closer to 200K.  This will require you to put in several years of big law to pay them off.  

At that same time, NYU will open up more doors and jobs (especially in NY) so this is a very personal decision.

Financially, I think the best move is WUSTL if you don't want to work biglaw.  Even if you didn't do well at WUSTL, you will still come out making 70K somewhere with no debt.  If you don't do well coming out of NYU, you will probably make 100K.  But it will be in NY with $1,500 a month in loans.

Then again, I turned down near full tuition at a solid tier 2 for full price at WUSTL so in reality, I am not taking my own advice in a similar situation (though admitedly you decision is more dificult since it involves higher caliber schools).  

ASNetlenov

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 03:31:50 PM »
But there is something to be said for having an NYU degree for the rest of your career. To me, it's worth the cost, but only if you want BigLaw. My opinion of Wash U is clear enough. See below.

nycesq2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - NYCESQ2005
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:07:15 PM »
Is the original post a flame?!??!! No seriously. Is it?

Cardozo is T2 and NYU is top 5. I can understand Fordham w/ $$ and NYU with full debt but CARDOZO?? No way. I;m sorry. I find this hard to believe. The choice is clear - NYU. The value of your degree will earn its investment long after you graduate. Its akin to turning down Harvard for a 4 yrs of free college at CUNY. Even if you don't want to work in biglaw, you can make contacts to go anywhere you please. Cardozo simply will NOT give you that.

Think carefully and choose NYU.

tinkerschance

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »
A check of Martindale.com revealed the following:

1444 Lawyers in New York State graduated from WUSTL
4946 Graduated from NYU

You could probably surf through them to find the ones that work in NYC, but I was too lazy for that!

This is just wrong.  If you type in Washington University you get people that went to GW and every other school with Washington in its name.  Jesus people.