Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should there be a Semitic category on applications for Jews?  (Read 4324 times)

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be a Semitic category on applications for Jews?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 05:24:37 PM »
Only categories should be Black Hispanic Native American or Other. That's all admissions commitees take under consideration. Honestly I don't see asians as all that different from 'white' people. Even in an economic considering eastern europeans aren't exactly rolling in money.

liberty shark

• Sr. Citizen
  • awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 05:28:23 PM »
man.. the only way to solve the problem would be to have a checkbox for every ethnicity, religion, and combination thereof.. then you could have a real list of URM groups... and it would be insanely long.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=libertyshark

They deal with morals as with mathematics;
and they think what is right may be
distinguished from what is wrong with the
precision of an algebraic equation.

-Daniel Webster

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 05:35:46 PM »
I think there should be a box for Yokels from lower Alabama, now there is an underrepresented group.  Or how about a box for the mentally retarded?  Almost none of them get into law school.

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 05:38:18 PM »
That's where I disagree with this guy. It would be a "slippery slope."

On another note, while I acknowledge there is a disproportionate number of Jews and subsequent resementment, mandating a maximum number of slots for Jews would lead to Jews entering other industries to succeed there instead.

Judiasm, for many, isn't a race or a group.  For example, I'm half Jewish, with the Jewish side being from New York for about four or five generations.  Their Jewish ancestors were from Poland.  How does that make me a semite or part of any group?

triumph - then why not a box for all religions?
161, 2.99.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 05:45:20 PM »
Why not just a minority box?  If you feel that you are a minority, you check the box.

brooklynman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 11:48:58 PM »
While Jews only constitute 2% of America's population, they make up 20% - 30% of all Ivey League and top tier institutions. The fact that they do not have a check box for their Semitic race forces them to check white. This hides their extreme overepresenation, and vastly exagerrates the actual caucausian enrollment numbers. Alas, this change is unlikely to happen, since anyone who points out unflattering facts about Jews is labelled an anti-Semite, which is the most damning term in our society.

Your post is the most ridiculous piece of crap I have ever seen. So people should not be admitted to a school because of perceived "resentment"? How is this also an "unflattering fact"? There was a quota system a couple of generations ago that has been justly eliminated. People of Jewish descent have gotten into these institutions based on merit. In fact, in numerous schools affirmative action (indirectly) hurt our chances for admission but we are the last to complain. Most of the people who are vehemently opposed to this policy are white nationalists. Go get your facts straight!

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 11:51:12 PM »
What policy are you refering to?

brooklynman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 12:40:43 AM »
What policy are you refering to?

My bad. The policy I am referring to is Affirmative Action.

As a sidenote, from my experience, the most successful and wealthiest people in the Jewish community are usually entrepreneurs in the real estate and diamond business. By limiting the influx of Jews into institutes of academia you are opening up a pandoras box.....

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 12:45:21 AM »
You think people who oppose AA are white nationalist?  Are you living in the same country I am?

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »
There are perfectly good reasons, other than wealth, to explain why Jews are seemingly overrepresented at elite institutions.  There is a great emphasis in Jewish communities on family and learning.  One of the reasons often stated for why inner city students do not do as well is that their parent(s) are working multiple jobs and cannot be around to help the child with their work.  Also, it is taught in Jewish communities that studying is not something with a start and an end, it is ongoing.  These factors, among others, explain the higher representation of Jews in elite colleges and universities
Current 1L