Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated  (Read 2686 times)

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »
"just a step below Harvard?"

Now you're asking for flame.

tegra8

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 03:34:04 PM »
I didnt say that was my perception, but I feel it is pretty accurate for most non-legal people in Florida at least

QuickOats

• Tar Heel 4 Life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 08:04:01 PM »
They have a very good reputation in Florida.  I was originally told I was accepted by phone, now waitlisted, but when I told people I was going to UNC they were all thoroughly impressed.  Many think of UNC as just a step below Harvard in this region

They pulled back an acceptance?  WHAT!!! Are u kidding?  That sucks.   How did that happen?  What did they say?
God must be a Tarheel.  If not, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?

tegra8

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »
i applied to a dual degree program, one program called and said I had been accepted and would be accepted into the other program and the paperwork was on the way...  got the graduate school acceptance letter but law school letter came with a waitlist.  needless to say I wasnt too happy about it.  supposedly I am near the top of the waitlist for out of staters now, but who knows

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »
UNC is a good school but its reputation is hurt by the large number of in-state students it takes. There is no way it is underrated and it may be slightly overrated.

http://www.law-school.ws/carolina/

Here's an interview conducted a couple of years ago with UNC's director of admissions.  According to him, the in-state and out of state stats are virtually the same.  Given this, I would say that UNC (at least the law school) is not hurt by it's large in-state quota.

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
I didnt say that was my perception, but I feel it is pretty accurate for most non-legal people in Florida at least
The non-legal people to whom you have been talking are idiots.
Hippies suck.

stash33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »
Anyone know if there is a grade curve at UNC? If so, what's it set at? 

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 07:36:01 PM »
I don't think UNC is under-rated or over-rated.  In terms of placement an the quality of its students, it seems to be a pretty solidly #20-30 school. 

I've lived in Chapel Hill for the year, by the way, and it's a pretty cool place.  It's not super-urban, obviously... but there's enough fun stuff to do, the weather is awesome, and the whole place has a good laid-back, fun, sportsy, semi-intellectual vibe.  I'd love to come back here some day and raise a family if I could find a cool job in the area (like being a prof...that would rule).

I don't think I would go there if I wanted to practice outside of the South, however.  I mean, it may be successful in placing some grads in the Northeast or West, but if you want to practice in those regions, why not make it easier on yourself and go to BC, BU, UCLA, USC, or those types of schools?
Attending: Columbia

stash33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 12:35:37 PM »

I don't think I would go there if I wanted to practice outside of the South, however.  I mean, it may be successful in placing some grads in the Northeast or West, but if you want to practice in those regions, why not make it easier on yourself and go to BC, BU, UCLA, USC, or those types of schools?

This might not always be an option.
hth