Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated  (Read 2689 times)

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:09:56 PM »
What does that even mean, Pacman?

Packman2162

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 11:54:49 AM »
It means "Back To The Top" so it gets back on the front page for other people to make comments.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
Ah. I am obviously not message board savvy.

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 05:14:20 PM »
Ah. I am obviously not message board savvy.

many websites just use "to the top" but obviously T-T-T means something completely different here.
Going to Miami

Sen

• Dreaming of being a soul-less corporate lawyer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »
I'm getting tired of hearing people moan and groan and bash UNC because they haven't received anything from Admissions. Cmon people, if you think the school sucks so much, then just remove your application.

Outside of that, my personal take is that UNC is a great compromise of alot of things. Its cheap - even with out-of-state tuition, its 22k compared to 35k elsewhere.

Its a great place to live with plenty to do. You get mild winters, beautiful fall foilage, and great summers.

And of course, the ranking sucks right now (I think they've been as high as 19 in the past - someone check yahoogroups cause I'm too lazy to do so). I believe 54% stay instate, and that would probrably explain why the pay scale is so low. But as many of you know, you'd only have to make 66k to equal the 125k in NYC. Here is the calculator to prove it: http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizard/layoutscripts/coll_result.asp?presentsalary=125%2C000&presenthomemetrocode=119&presentworkmetrocode=119&newhomemetrocode=317&newworkmetrocode=317&x=44&y=9

Of course, I'm probrably going to be the guy who's going to try and go to NYC:)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sen

Deposit @ UNC
Waitlisted @ BU, WUSL, Fordham, Gtown
Last Hope @ Vanderbilt

QuickOats

• Tar Heel 4 Life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »
Bump Me
God must be a Tarheel.  If not, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?

BroncoWrestling

• Music Midtown makes me do stupid things
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »
I agree with Sen.  I am so tired of the UNC bashers.

And about Chapel Hill ... there is a reason it is called the Southern Part of Heaven ...

and for those who are worried about the UNC pull outside of the "region" ... I grew up in Boston and have lived in Florida for 3 years.  I can put aside your fears about UNC.  It carries a very solid reputation as a prestigious university (even though you have to refer to it as Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill) in Boston for anyone to realize which school you are referring to. 

Accepted:  GWU (10k/yr), GMU, W&M (10k + 4k / yr), Emory, UGA, UF, UNC, U of Ariz.
Deferred:  UVA
Pending:  Harvard, Stanford, Duke

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 03:06:55 PM »
UNC is a good school but its reputation is hurt by the large number of in-state students it takes. There is no way it is underrated and it may be slightly overrated.
Hippies suck.

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 03:27:23 PM »
Hmmm...as a taxpayer in this state, I'm perfectly fine with thier 75% in-state admissions guidelines.  They only admit 18% out-of-state undergrads, and they are the 5th best public school in the country.  So I don't think UNCs reputation is suffering because of that limitation, at any level including the Law School.

tegra8

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 03:30:58 PM »
They have a very good reputation in Florida.  I was originally told I was accepted by phone, now waitlisted, but when I told people I was going to UNC they were all thoroughly impressed.  Many think of UNC as just a step below Harvard in this region