Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated  (Read 2760 times)

QuickOats

• Tar Heel 4 Life
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »
What are the opionions on the school on this board?
God must be a Tarheel.  If not, then why is the sky Carolina Blue?

EPH05

• View Profile
Re: UNC LAW? Overrated, Underrated or just rated
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:36:42 AM »
To me it seems solid though not great.  It definatly has regional power, but its not nearly as strong as Duke which is just down the road.  In my personal expoereience the admissions office is a little flakey, I applied in Novermber and I have heard nothing so far. The campus is pretty but I've never visited the law schoo. Chapel Hill is a great town that is collegiate but not overly "undergraduate" if you get my drift.  I'd reccomend that anyone going to law school in the trianglke area live in CH, but that's just my opinion.

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:40:44 AM »
It's not overrated if you want to practice in North Carolina or in the few surrounding states.  It's especially not underrated if you're a North Carolina resident because the tuition is pretty low.  However, if you're from another region and you're paying out of state tuition with the expectation that you will be able to leave the south once you're done, it's likely a good idea to go to a school ranked in the top 20 as opposed to UNC. 

Also, living in Chapel Hill is probably better than living anywhere else in the Triangle but the cost is also much higher.  There's not enough housing available to meet the demand and thus the price skyrockets when compared to the nearby communities.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »
I think that UNC is a POS TTT for making their applicants hang on so damn long  >:(

Hello! Still freakn' waiting over here!

stash33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:29:26 PM »
I'm not sure if UNC is overrated or underrated. I visited close to a month ago and loved the campus, admissions office, and Chapel Hill.

However, I have been advised to stay in CA and attend a lower ranked school rather than attend UNC with the intention of returning to CA.

I understand that the majority of UNC law grads stay instate, but couldn't this be based as much on choice as anything else? In considering UNC I checked out which national firms based out of CA recruit from UNC. While there weren't hundreds, there were enough to make me believe that there is more than a snowballs chance in hell at obtaining employment outside of the South after attending UNC.  I will have to be more proactive as far as contacting firms in CA in order to set up my own interviews and such, but if I were afraid of putting in a little bit of work, I wouldn't be attending law school in the first place.

Good thread. It's great to hear other thoughts and opinions.

woogu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »
I also wondered about the job prospects and I did a little research.. If you do well at UNC, you can work anywhere in the country as long as you take some initiative to get your interviews...
I am from Ohio and went to Cornell for my undergrad, so Chapel Hill will be a change
I am confident that a UNC degree will go far even outside of the south...

melville4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:18:18 PM »
I love UNC.  It just seems like a perfect college. I don't know about placement, but I assumed before I started researching law schools that they'd have been rated higher than they currently are.  I know this isn't an empirical study or anything, but I doubt I'm alone with that assumption.

It may not be the best academic institution to go to, but spending 3 years in Chapel Hill wouldn't be the worst one could do. My gut feeling is that they are one of the more well-respected state schools in the country. 

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 03:14:59 PM »
USNEWS ranked UNC 27th, you make it sound like they are ranked 60th.  I agree that they are a great school and that they deserve their rank, but at point in time they are not an elite school. 
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:29:45 PM »
UNC has been ranked as high as 20 I believe. Their in-state mandate may have (and may continue) to prevent as much "gaming" of the system as their competitors (that's my personal theory).  UNC by law must have 75% state residents.

In any case, the USNEWS rankings should be an initial guide to where you might be interested in applying, but using them as definitive tools to decide where to attend seems short sighted.

Packman2162

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 10:12:39 PM »
bttt