Law School Discussion

LSAT Exellence

$ones

• View Profile
LSAT Exellence
« on: May 31, 2004, 08:54:49 PM »
A question for all who are on top of their game. I apologize for the long post...

Outside natural ability, what do you attribute your success to? Specifically. I would really be grateful for your advice - be it psycological, technical, pharmaceutical, nutritional, whatever. I've written 10 practice exams under very strict exam condtions (in the actual upcoming test room) and although I'm pleased with my progress, I haven't hit my goal yet.

My prep consists soley of doing 1 exam a day, taking every 3rd or 4th day off.

My routine exactly:

9 am - wake up.

10 am - breakfast (3 whole eggs, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, daily vitamin, 2 doses of salmon oil).

11 am cup of coffee (while I sit at starbucks and clear my head through a pen).

Noon - restroom break (need to ensure I dont have to go during the exam). 10ml vial of ginkgo biloba consumed at this time.

1 pm - Game time. I have a bottle of water with me which I sip on during the exam (is that allowed?). I eat an apple during the break as it is very easy to digest and will draw a minimum amount of blood from the brain.

Reading Comp is the section I'm lagging behind as I ususally get 5-6 questions wrong every time.

There are a lot of very bright people on this board and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Re: LSAT Exellence
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 08:53:07 AM »
You might want to take the practice exams in the morning starting a few days before the exam. Because for some people, taking an exam at 9am is a totally different experience from taking it at 1pm

And relax dude, you don't need to record what you eat.  Just make sure you don't try any new foods or go to any new resturant the day before. ;)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 09:29:33 AM »
Why would taking an exam at 9 am help?  The LSAT on June 14th won't start until after 1, so IMHO, by taking tests at the actual test time is a big help.

I don't know what date you're planning on taking it, Skittles, but if you show up at 8:30 June 14th, you're going to be thrown way off guard, since you don't have to be there till 12:30.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:53 AM »
Why would taking an exam at 9 am help?  The LSAT on June 14th won't start until after 1, so IMHO, by taking tests at the actual test time is a big help.

I don't know what date you're planning on taking it, Skittles, but if you show up at 8:30 June 14th, you're going to be thrown way off guard, since you don't have to be there till 12:30.

Oh.. really? Sorry.  Every other standardized test I've take has started at 9a.m. I just assumed the LSAT would too.  I see that was a bad assumption.  Nevermind sonas!!!  But hey! showing up early is better than showing up late, right?  ;)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:33:59 AM »
Most LSATs do have a sign in time of 8:30, but for the June date, and ONLY the June date, they push it back a few hours.  Maybe it has to do with the sheer numbers of people that take the test in June, I dunno.  That's LSAC for you.

$ones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 12:00:30 PM »
Thanks for the input guys...

As far as the supplements go, I'm not sure if I've noticed any explicit difference but my scores have been a bit better (Assuming ofcourse the increase is not soley due to my added experience). The way I see it, it can't hurt. It gives me a psychological boost. Also, that thread where the "light that flicks on", its been happening to me too ever since I started ginkgo + salmon oil. It might be a coincidence or might not.

Dante Hicks

• Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 07:24:56 PM »
Hell I wish I had your schedule!!

Wake up at 9 AM..are you kidding me??!!

Doesn't anyone work anymore??!!

A question for all who are on top of their game. I apologize for the long post...

Outside natural ability, what do you attribute your success to? Specifically. I would really be grateful for your advice - be it psycological, technical, pharmaceutical, nutritional, whatever. I've written 10 practice exams under very strict exam condtions (in the actual upcoming test room) and although I'm pleased with my progress, I haven't hit my goal yet.

My prep consists soley of doing 1 exam a day, taking every 3rd or 4th day off.

My routine exactly:

9 am - wake up.

10 am - breakfast (3 whole eggs, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, daily vitamin, 2 doses of salmon oil).

11 am cup of coffee (while I sit at starbucks and clear my head through a pen).

Noon - restroom break (need to ensure I dont have to go during the exam). 10ml vial of ginkgo biloba consumed at this time.

1 pm - Game time. I have a bottle of water with me which I sip on during the exam (is that allowed?). I eat an apple during the break as it is very easy to digest and will draw a minimum amount of blood from the brain.

Reading Comp is the section I'm lagging behind as I ususally get 5-6 questions wrong every time.

There are a lot of very bright people on this board and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Thanks in advance for any comments.

M2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 07:51:39 PM »
Hell I wish I had your schedule!!

Wake up at 9 AM..are you kidding me??!!

Doesn't anyone work anymore??!!

I quit my job to study for this junk...

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »
wow, cool, i thought I was the only one crazy enough to quit his somewhat decent job for this test. Hey, just wanted to throw in one thing. I tried the whole take a test a day thing. it worked for about 4 days. after that i couldnt do it anymore. I figured how hard is putting in 2 hours a day? well, when you are doing your practices timed, with the breaks put in in like it will be for test time (i.e. only a 15 min break between part 3 and 4) it can really wear you out, and the effect is cumulative. so i dont suggest it, especially this close to the exam unless you have been doing it already. the last thing you want to do is overstress yourself. that being said, i think you should do it everyother day. you do want to replicate the conditions as close to the real thing as possible. just, once again, for  myself i found it hard to see strait on the fifth day of trying that, also, you are so tired at that point, you really have stopped the ability to learn new info (your brain does need sometime so soak up new things, and if you are overdoing it, with all that fatigue your brain isnt going to soak up any new things).

Ginatio

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 11:37:23 PM »
you guys are insane. i guess it's cool that you all care so much about the lsat though...