Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Headed to USD?..Who are you and where are you from?  (Read 20861 times)

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
Re: Headed to USD?..Who are you and where are you from?
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2005, 06:22:31 PM »
I started looking at apartments in the Clairemont area and further up Linda Vista Road and Genesee and found some good ones...but can't sign anything now b/c the lack of roommate  :(  Is anyone else worried about being able to get a good place once USD finally sends out the roommate list??

A bit worried, but keep telling myself its still months away.

hmusd, did you already sign up for the presidio apartment? I didn't see any information on the website about how to go about getting one

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »
I started looking at apartments in the Clairemont area and further up Linda Vista Road and Genesee and found some good ones...but can't sign anything now b/c the lack of roommate  :(  Is anyone else worried about being able to get a good place once USD finally sends out the roommate list??

A bit worried, but keep telling myself its still months away.

hmusd, did you already sign up for the presidio apartment? I didn't see any information on the website about how to go about getting one

From website:

"Interested graduate and law students who will be enrolled full-time can request campus housing by making a $250 NON-REFUNDABLE prepayment at the Cashier's Office in Hughes Center and then contacting the Housing Office in the Missions Crossroads Building to request the Housing and Dining Services Contract packet. We will accept applications on a "first-come first-served" basis and keep an interest list when all apartments have been reserved for the following semester.

For more information about the facilities or the contractual terms and conditions, please call us at 619-260-4777. "

163, 2.9
Attending: USD

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2005, 08:26:13 PM »
I called last week about the availability of the on campus apartments, and they said that there are so many people on the waiting list that they aren't even taking names anymore
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

hmusd

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »
I got on the wait list at the end of March, before the first deposit deadline.  I was at the school visiting (I've been living in Canada, could not get there for the admitted students thing...).  I knew that I wouldn't be able to go apt. searching this summer so I got an early jump on the Presidio.  I wouldn't be tooooo surprised if the wait list is long now, but honestly, if you have the time to apt. search, and/or if you want a roommate, I think there are way better living situations than the PT. 

Where did the rest of you go to undergrad. (besides all the U of A kids)...?
Attending: University of San Diego.
Applied (and accepted): USC, Denver U., U of Oregon, Lewis & Clark, Loyola.

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2005, 03:26:44 PM »
FYI - I just moved into my apartment, The Gardens, behind the Target on Balboa in the Clairemont Mesa area.  I like it there a lot.  It's kind of an older unit, which makes it cheaper, which attracts nothing but the finest white trash crowds, but it's not that bad.  I takes me less than ten minutes to get to Fashion Valley and about the same amount of time to get to school.  I live next to the 805 and the 163 and about 5 minutes east of the 5, so I have good freeway access.  I was just looking for a good place close to campus (but after reviewing the Linda Vista scene, not too close) where I can set up base camp to attack my first year and I think I did all right.  I only pay 1140 for a 2 story 2 bedroom 1000 sf apt.  My kitchen is the size of my living room in my first apartment after I got married. 

Also, there is an abundance if excellent restaurants within 3 minutes walking distance from my apartment.

So, good luck in your hunting.  I can recommend my area (corner of Balboa and Genessee).
In at USD

DumbMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »
Congrats on getting settled Jeff! Just wanted to add a restaurant suggestion in your area, if you haven't tried Sipz, definitely try it. It's an Asian Fusion restaurant that is all vegetarian and mostly vegan. Everyone I take there (vegan or not) loves it. It's not expensive and the food is great.

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2005, 05:19:39 PM »
FYI - I just moved into my apartment, The Gardens, behind the Target on Balboa in the Clairemont Mesa area.  I like it there a lot.  It's kind of an older unit, which makes it cheaper, which attracts nothing but the finest white trash crowds, but it's not that bad.  I takes me less than ten minutes to get to Fashion Valley and about the same amount of time to get to school.  I live next to the 805 and the 163 and about 5 minutes east of the 5, so I have good freeway access.  I was just looking for a good place close to campus (but after reviewing the Linda Vista scene, not too close) where I can set up base camp to attack my first year and I think I did all right.  I only pay 1140 for a 2 story 2 bedroom 1000 sf apt.  My kitchen is the size of my living room in my first apartment after I got married. 

Also, there is an abundance if excellent restaurants within 3 minutes walking distance from my apartment.

So, good luck in your hunting.  I can recommend my area (corner of Balboa and Genessee).

How did you find that particular place, was on the internet or did you do drive-bys and call #'s on signs?  I've been looking online and not having a great deal of luck, maybe i'm in the wrong places.
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »
I found a couple apartments that seemed nice (using the list off the USD housing website and just driving by) but after checking the apartment ratings, they seem horrible! 

The admissions office did tell me though, when I called in yesterday, that the roommate questionairres had just been sent out that day (Wednesday).
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2005, 01:53:40 PM »
I found my apartment by just walking around and talking to managers.  I think the advertised apartmetns are too expensive.
In at USD

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2005, 08:35:15 PM »
I still need a roommate.  I'll be building a house in the Carmel Valley, but that won't be for a while, so I'd like to rent a nice house with someone who's willing to put up 1200-1600+/month.  If anyone is looking for a roommate who's ready for a pretty nice house in a great location, I'm it. :)
USD 2L