Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obsessed with law school!  (Read 1148 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Obsessed with law school!
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
I have to say that Law School Discussion has been very helpful in furthering my law school obsession.  It began over a year ago when I decided to take the June LSAT to see if law school was even a possibility for me then it spiraled out of control from there.  While they wish me the best; friends and family have told me that they are tired of hearing about logical reasoning, personal statements, USNWR rankings, tiers 1,2 and 3, financial aid and deciding where to attend.  Their eyes glaze over when I bring the subject up. It is great to be able to obsess with other aspiring law students and to know that others are consumed with the same issues!

;

JGB

• AOL Instant Messenger - jgxbyrd
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - byrdjg@sbcglobal.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Obsessed with law school!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »
Ya, nobody in my circle wants to hear about it anymore, either.

Good Times!

JGB
Applying Fall 2006

SMU or Bust

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 09:59:59 AM »
Yeah, no kidding.  And it's nice to have people understand what we are talking about.  You guys probably wouldn't give me the "well, you have to apply to Cornell because you never know" line...because you guys would have known (as I did) that a 159 wasn't going to get me into Cornell.  Alas, the parents insisted on paying for the application, so I can give them the rejection letter as a receipt.  They just didn't understand, because they hadn't taken the time to become familiar with the whole admissions process.

My poor roommate has 3 close friends (one of them is me) applying to law school, on to med school and one to vet school.  She's REALLY sick of listening to all of us!

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:27:53 AM »
My family decided to give me a 15 minute limit per day of talking about law school! Now I just come on to this website instead which is better because like you said everyone knows the deal.  You don't have to give long explanations before you tell them what is on your mind.

leoladybug

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
I check the new LSD posts at work before checking my actual work e-mail account.  I was definitely clueless about the law school admissions process til i discovered the LSD.  I work as an undergraduate admissions counselor so now I feel very knowledgable when I meet with prospective PreLaw students.  All of my slacking off at work has actually been beneficial...maybe I should get a raise.  But top make a long story short, I am obsessed with reading anything and everything about law school!

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:39 AM »
Jaimalia:  She'll be thrilled to have you folks around when she and her dog are injured in an at-fault car accident.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 10:57:29 AM »
I must agree! Parents want you to apply to all the top name schools, regardless of what YOU know to be the reality of your situation, and you could never explain it to them.  Friends are happy for you, but don't understand half of what you are saying, just want to know the bottom line - where are you going and when. 

This site has been so helpful for me.  I just wish I had found it before I sent all my apps out.

Ordack

• Duck beh farsi chi misheh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 11:09:06 AM »
I lurked on this board for a long while, and have only recently begun posting...but I definitely enjoy listening to the stories of people who are going through exactly what I am.  Now that I have started to post more, I get more satisfaction out of coming here...

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 11:56:54 AM »
That's what I am talking about!  Everyone is totally on the same page here.

About people advising you to apply to schools you know are out of your leaugue: 
I notice that people just think I am being modest and looking for praise when I tell them my GPA is not good enough to apply for schools that I know are out of my reach. They try to encourage me but I am not looking for encouragement..........just being a realist. 

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 12:05:44 PM »
I must agree! Parents want you to apply to all the top name schools, regardless of what YOU know to be the reality of your situation, and you could never explain it to them.  Friends are happy for you, but don't understand half of what you are saying, just want to know the bottom line - where are you going and when. 

This site has been so helpful for me.  I just wish I had found it before I sent all my apps out.
That's funny, because my parents (probably rightly so) are advising me to go to the lower ranked school.