Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else going to GULC?  (Read 3669 times)

squirrel

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else going to GULC?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »
Do you all know if the workload's much different between A and B curriculum. I mean, the more theoretical approach is alluring, but I don't want more work piled on me...Also, on some other thread, someone said that employers don't discriminate between hiring from A or B...Anybody know anything for sure on that front?

robinhood, an earlier message posted by ethelmag in this thread contains a couple of links which lead to some great info about the alternative curriculum. the blogger scoplaw wrote some excellent posts about the pros and cons of section 3, and his blog also links to a few other curriculum-b bloggers, so definitely check those out.

it sounds like the alternative curriculum will involve more reading. how much more? no one really knows since no one has gone through both curricula and can make a fair comparison. one thing to keep in mind is that if you think you're the type who enjoys learning law from a theoretical approach, you may have a better time in section 3 even if it means more work, rather than doing less work but reading cases all day in a regular section. as for job interviewing, i doubt that employers care. i read somewhere that gulc tracked graduates from section 3 and found that they did as well as other graduates on firm and clerkship placement.
we're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 09:26:10 PM »
ethelmag, do you plan to drive to class everyday, or are you going to metro on weekdays and use your car primarily for weekends and grocery shopping? when i visited the school in january, all the spots near gulc seemed to be metered. i assume that the garage in the basement is for faculty/staff only. just wondering where are you going to park your car if you're going to drive to school.

i will not be living on-campus because i'm old and probably don't fit into the dorm culture too well. i'm still debating on city (anywhere along the red line between dupont and bethesda) vs. the burbs (nova). it'd be cool to live in the city, experience urban life, and walk everywhere, but suburbs have their advantages as well -- quieter, cheaper, safer, etc. so i guess i'm still torn.

No, I'm definitely going to metro to school. I wouldn't want to try to park in the city on a regular basis.

By the time you get out to Bethesda on the red line, it's pretty suburban.

My husband and I just this morning put down a deposit on an apartment in the Crystal City area of Arlington, VA. Yay!

Ooh that's where I live. I like it. It's nice. Metroing's pretty painless during rush hour when the trains run fast.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 09:28:17 PM »
Do you all know if the workload's much different between A and B curriculum. I mean, the more theoretical approach is alluring, but I don't want more work piled on me...Also, on some other thread, someone said that employers don't discriminate between hiring from A or B...Anybody know anything for sure on that front?

robinhood, an earlier message posted by ethelmag in this thread contains a couple of links which lead to some great info about the alternative curriculum. the blogger scoplaw wrote some excellent posts about the pros and cons of section 3, and his blog also links to a few other curriculum-b bloggers, so definitely check those out.

it sounds like the alternative curriculum will involve more reading. how much more? no one really knows since no one has gone through both curricula and can make a fair comparison. one thing to keep in mind is that if you think you're the type who enjoys learning law from a theoretical approach, you may have a better time in section 3 even if it means more work, rather than doing less work but reading cases all day in a regular section. as for job interviewing, i doubt that employers care. i read somewhere that gulc tracked graduates from section 3 and found that they did as well as other graduates on firm and clerkship placement.

I affectionately refer to section 3 kids as the "liberal arts" law students. It's more reading, more theory, etc. I prefer tried and true traditional approach for 1L, but really you learn the same stuff and it's tied together in some interesting ways that maybe the Curriculum A folks aren't so directly exposed to. For example, that "Bargain, Exchange..." whatever class I think ties torts and contracts together in the same package, which makes total sense, yet in the traditional curriculum it's two separate classes.

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
Thanks a lot...I'll check on it...I am a little worried about tackling it--1L is going to prove daunting enough.

Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 01:21:05 PM »
Thanks a lot...I'll check on it...I am a little worried about tackling it--1L is going to prove daunting enough.

yeah, daunting indeed. i was going back and forth on this one as well. sometimes i feel like since this curriculum unique to gulc, i'm losing out on something if i don't take advantage of it. other times, i tell myself that although i enjoy challenges, i need to be aware of my own limits so that i'm not fighting a losing battle.

btw, i saw on the other thread that you're still deciding on schools, are you pretty much set on gulc? i think it'd be pretty amazing to study law in dc if you take advantage of the location, so come to gulc!
we're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 03:57:16 PM »
On the website, they claim that B might be more reading, but the extra reading is usually pretty interesting.  It also should be noted that you are ranked in your own section, if I recall, so it isn't like the A curriculum people end up with an advantage becaue of lighter workloads.

As for me, one of my majors is philosophy, so its a bit of a no-brainer choice.  I chose B today.

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 05:09:25 PM »
On the website, they claim that B might be more reading, but the extra reading is usually pretty interesting.  It also should be noted that you are ranked in your own section, if I recall, so it isn't like the A curriculum people end up with an advantage becaue of lighter workloads.

As for me, one of my majors is philosophy, so its a bit of a no-brainer choice.  I chose B today.

When you say you chose B today, do you mean that you filled out a form for it? When did you get such a form? I haven't gotten any mail from them in about 6 weeks, though I did get an e-mail confirmation that they got my first deposit.

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 05:48:19 PM »
I went on the admitted students website, and there is a new option on the bottom to choose your curriculum.

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 06:23:51 PM »
I went on the admitted students website, and there is a new option on the bottom to choose your curriculum.

Thanks! I just submitted my Curriculum B choice.

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »

Georgetown certainly offers me the best opportunities, and I'm definitely leaning there--the money issue's the only thing that could sway me, so I'm still trying to gather as much information as possible...

yeah, daunting indeed. i was going back and forth on this one as well. sometimes i feel like since this curriculum unique to gulc, i'm losing out on something if i don't take advantage of it. other times, i tell myself that although i enjoy challenges, i need to be aware of my own limits so that i'm not fighting a losing battle.

btw, i saw on the other thread that you're still deciding on schools, are you pretty much set on gulc? i think it'd be pretty amazing to study law in dc if you take advantage of the location, so come to gulc!
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU