If this is really what he wants to do, I really suggest he wait and put it off a year.The biggest regret that's voiced is that people wish they'd put more time into studying for the lsat, or had studied differently. He's not going to realistically be able to prepare for the june test in a month. If he took the test cold and scored in teh mid 150 or 160s, I'd say sure, take some more tests and give it a go.But starting from a 138 says that he has a lot of work to do, especially if he doesn't really have any strenghts.Also, 1 month is NOT enough time to get him familiar with the timing of the lsat, IMO. Lots of people would do MUCH better on the test if the time limits were taken away. You need to practice enough so you can finish a decent amount of the sections, adn I don't see that happening in a month.It's his life, so he can take the gamble if he wants to. But just make sure he's 100% aware that a score lower than 150 is going to make it VERY VERY hard to get into the school he wants. Say he scores a 145. If he decides to take again, he'd need to score a a 165 to average out to a 155 (some schools will take the higher score if you score that much higher, but not all do). So doing poorly on the first test would be a severe handicap. If he knows and understands this, and decides to try, then that's his decision.But if I were him, I'd rather regret missing law school for 1 year instead of regretting a low score that would follow me around for 5 years. (or is it 4? Either way, it's a significant period of time)
I guess the only time it would make ANY sense to take a diagnostic cold is if you're dumb enough to consider taking the LSAT with only a month of prep.
Yeah he was looking into weekend courses but I think he said the only one he could find/get into was a week before the test. If he could take one like this weekend it would be worht it but a week before the test probably won't be any good. Quote from: LisBeth on April 29, 2005, 11:32:06 AMi took a full test on august 31 - totally cold - and scored 155.october lsat: 174. study methods: powerscore weekend course, about 10 practice tests, lots of timed sections.
i took a full test on august 31 - totally cold - and scored 155.october lsat: 174. study methods: powerscore weekend course, about 10 practice tests, lots of timed sections.
There's also no real downside to waiting until October, at least not in this context.
Quote from: Amanda H. on April 29, 2005, 11:39:53 AMI guess the only time it would make ANY sense to take a diagnostic cold is if you're dumb enough to consider taking the LSAT with only a month of prep. excuse me? i went from a 155 to a 174 in only a month of prep. i resent being called dumb.
Ok, I think we can stop the bickering. I pretty much understand he should have been studying sooner and that its his own fault for waiting....I'm just trying to gather how screwed he is and if its worth putting in both of our time to get him as ready as he can be or if its a complete lost cause. I think I'm going to see how well he does on the next test and if hes making consistent improvement stick with it but if hes not improving I'll just tell him its not feasible to get the 155 or so he'll need.
Page created in 0.257 seconds with 18 queries.