Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting with a 138  (Read 5309 times)

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Starting with a 138
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:01:31 AM »
I'm trying to help a friend study for the June LSAT...I had him take a practice test from 1993 today to see where hes at and he got a 138. If he studies hard from now until the test, what is a feasible score he could get? I'm trying to remain optomistic that he could hit 155-160 if he busts his ass but I don't want to give him false hope...does anyone know anyone with experience starting around a 138 and improving? Is it conceivable to improve 20 points?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with a 138
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:16:14 AM »
Did he have any previous knowledge of the test contents?

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 04:06:59 AM »
All work and no play makes Thou a dull boy.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

© 2004-2012, Thou

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 09:12:22 AM »
He knew what the test was like and looked at some questions but in general it was a cold test.

Did he have any previous knowledge of the test contents?

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »
What do you suggest?

Iím very confident your friend can score in that range with the right study plan. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:26:14 AM »
When is he planning on taking the test?

He needs to get the LRB and LGB, and work through them slowly and diligently, doing some every day.  If he had issues with reading comp, he needs to start reading more challenging material to help with his speed and comprehension.

Maybe do a practice test every 2 weeks or something while he's working through the Bibles to track his progress.  Each time he takes a test, he really needs to sit down and review it afterwards.  Figure out what ?s he's getting wrong, why he got them wrong.  Really work on this.  He needs to learn everything he can, and going slow with this is probably the only way to do it.

Once he goes through the Bibles, work only with real tests.  Hopefully his score will improve, but there's so much in the Bibles that he'll still be working on remember and applying it all, and getting to the point where the skills and tricks are coming naturally.

I also say work on accuracy first, and when he's getting the flow of the questions down and starts to get more right, *then* start trying to add speed into the mix.  By the end of studying, he needs to have found that balance of speed and accuracy that works for him.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
What do you suggest?

Have him try randomly filling in the ovals..

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »
This is why you shouldn't take an initial diagnostic before you know what you're doing.  All it will usually do is discourage you, and it tells you very little about how well you will do after adequate prep.

The first thing I would do is emphasize to him that an intial diagnostic is essentially meaningless.  Then, as noted, have him review prep materials and begin working completely untimed on practice exams.  This should help build his confidence.  He can gradually increase speed once he's improved his accuracy.

Oh, and yes, it's very possible to increase 20 points, especially when you're starting that low. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:36:48 AM »
and it tells you very little about how well you will do after adequate prep.

Actually, it does tell you how you can do with adequate prep.  It's not unreasonable to aim for 150-160 from there, but I'd put money down that this kid's not gonna be hitting 170.  The starting point gives you something to work towards and lets you set realistic goals.

But if knowing your starting point is discouraging for you, then maybe there's some other self-esteem issues going one.

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:54:58 AM »
Yeah, I don't really expect him to break 160. His goal is 160 but he'll probably be OK with a 155. Hes looking at Seton Hall w/ a 3.15 I think and when I ran it in Chiashu a 155 maybe him about 50/50 and a 160 was more or less a lock. I'm aiming to get him to a 160 but it probably won't happen.

As for his test: (btw it was the Feb 1993 test from 10 Real...)

I was hoping he'd be weakest on LGs but he seems to be the worst at LR and overall he doesnt have any real strengths. My plan is this for now: I'm going to go over the test with him on Saturday and explain to him why his answers are right/wrong and what hes doing wrong. Then on Sunday, I'm going to have him take another practice test. After that I'm going to have him work through the LGB and LRB bible slowly and then maybe do a whole test untimed to see how he does. After that I feel like the best way to study is to take as many preptests and go over the test well and see what mistakes he is making, etc. He doesn't really have the time or $$ for a class and with materials and me helping I don't think it is really necessary for him.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with someone who scored around a 138 and then studied and made big improvements. I think if I can get him to bust his ass over the next month, a 20 point increase is possible.

Any other suggestions are welcome and thank you to all who have posted so far.

and it tells you very little about how well you will do after adequate prep.

Actually, it does tell you how you can do with adequate prep.  It's not unreasonable to aim for 150-160 from there, but I'd put money down that this kid's not gonna be hitting 170.  The starting point gives you something to work towards and lets you set realistic goals.

But if knowing your starting point is discouraging for you, then maybe there's some other self-esteem issues going one.