Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: waitlist info  (Read 380 times)

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
waitlist info
« on: April 28, 2005, 11:37:37 PM »
do all schools always go to their waitlist or do years exist when a lawschool will not have to go to their waitlist? i hear that most schools have a stronger applicant pool this yr, but thats only because applicants applied to more schools than ever ... basically schools assume they have a stronger pool, but they'll have many of these applicants going to different schools ....

any response?

SaintsFan

• View Profile
Re: waitlist info
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:13:46 AM »
From what I've read on a number of schools' websites, they definitely don't always pull from their waitlists. It seems that this year more schools than usual are going to be accepting waitlisted students (because of what you mentioned).
lawschoolnumbers.com - SaintsFan

IN - WUSTL (15k), GMU, Wake Forest (3/4 off tuition), Tulane (15k), Lewis & Clark, Temple, Minnesota, Notre Dame (15.5k)
WL - Fordham, W&M, Illinois, Emory
OUT - GULC, GW

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 12:54:33 AM »
Some years they may take a lot, some years they may take very few or none.

They use the waiting list as a cushion because predicting which accepted students will matriculate is not an exact science. With people applying to more schools on average, they have more choices usually, which means schools will want a larger wait list as a safety net in case large numbers of their accepted students decide to go elsewhere. Just like you said.

I'm sure that schools take into account a student's numbers when they think about admitting 'em or not. Like a T4 will probably assume that even if they give a top student a full ride, that he or she is still probably not going to matriculate there. They probably look at the person's personal statement and see if he/she just uses a generic one (where you just change the name of the school on the PS depending on which school you're sending it to) that doesn't mention anything specific about their school in particular. They'd definitely reject anyone they are sure won't attend, no matter what their scores are. Thats why admissions advice people say never to let a safety know that its a safety.

Yield is important, especially with the wait lists. I think that if you're on one, and you call them up every week and express your desire to attend once you're on the waiting list, that they're more likely to pick you from it. Thats why they usually even ask you wether you want to be on the list or not, they don't want to take people off of the list (accept them) and have them not attend, because that makes their yield even worse.
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »
ok, this may sound like a stupid question but help me out here. If I were going to call the school, I'd just say "hello, I'm XXXX and i'm on your waitlist. I really want to go to your school. Please let me in. thankyou". I dunno it sounds odd to me. But I hear people speaking of doing this. So what really are you supposed to be saying to get them to take you off the waitlist? Also, do you ask to speak to someone in particular or are you just talking to whoever answers the phone or what? any info would be really helpful as you can prolly tell. Thanks! :D
HUSL 1L