Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: will my huge loans determine my work?  (Read 1071 times)

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
will my huge loans determine my work?
« on: April 28, 2005, 09:42:29 PM »
I sort of wanted to work in the public sphere right out of lschool, but am I being unrealistic? I just got my information in the mail and Im going to be borrowing 44 k per year... :-\
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

DodgerLaw

Re: will my huge loans determine my work?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:46:16 PM »
In short, Yes!

Unless you can find someone to forgive your loans in the name of public service.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
I'm getting a little discouraged about this too. I was actually talking to a friend whose wife is a lawyer and he was telling me about the high-paying job I'll need to pay off my debt.

I actually found myself whining something to the effect of "But I don't want to make a lot of money."

OK, obviously making a lot of money would be really nice. I just don't want it to be a job requirement.
I really want to like my job.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:27:11 PM »
I sort of wanted to work in the public sphere right out of lschool, but am I being unrealistic? I just got my information in the mail and Im going to be borrowing 44 k per year... :-\

Yes, unless your school has a super generous loan forgivness program.  But you can pay off the whole thing in three years if you are frugal. 

A.J

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 10:45:27 PM »
136k at these rates is not that much

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »

Yes, unless your school has a super generous loan forgivness program.  But you can pay off the whole thing in three years if you are frugal. 

Or you can take like 20 years to pay it off.  You can always defer a few years if you aren't making the big $ right out of school. Or you can just pay the interest.  If you consilidate your loans at the end of school alot of the time they have programs where you will only pay the interest for the first few years and then start paying on the principal after you have been out for awhile.  You end up paying more in the long run...so I guess it just depends on how much you want to take a public job.
Attending: Texas