Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone ever emailed a prof to say how wonderful a lecture was?  (Read 1331 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Yes, I know I'm sad. I had nothing to gain from it. I will never see him again or need a ref. Nor will he mark anything of mine. But he taught me a few months ago and lectured a few days ago, and it was the most enlightening lecture I have ever been to. He is the most brilliant man ever. And at the end of the lecture, recognising me, he said: 'was that alright?.. was there too much information? I ran out of time...' and my jaw nearly dropped, because I had scribbled pages of notes inh amazement throughout. So I  emailed and said I meant it when I said the lecture was brilliant. And I felt it was important to say because when people have on impact on you (academically speaking), they often don't know it. And in the case of professors that's a very sad thing. So I finished by saying that what would stick out in my mind once I left Oxford wouldn't be the gowns or the pomp and ceremony: it would be the sense of awe seeing an expert get more out of a text than you ever thought was possible.

Anyone done this/ something similar?

Don't flame me! I know I am a nerd!

Merc

Re: anyone ever emailed a prof to say how wonderful a lecture was?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »
Never done it myself, but I have had undergrad professors that had that effect on me.

Letting someone know that they did well in their profession is never really a bad thing.

Good for ya.

golfergirl

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberwavesofgrain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »
I had one grad professor that consistantly delivered lectures/lead discussions on really relevant topics that really had a profound impact my development has a student and leader.  I made it a point one day after I was out of school to write her an email...you know, keep doing what you are doing, you really changed the way I think, you impacted my life, you and your class helped get me to where I am...and she loved it...she was so grateful that I had written her. I felt good because I was recognizing the incredible gift I got (her class and guidance) and she felt good because she knew that all of her toil in the class was changing peoples lives.

I personally think, if you are honest in whatever praise/recognition you give someone, then you are always right to do so!

DodgerLaw

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:33:05 PM »
Expressing appreciation is a URM. Most all of us could afford to do it a lot more. Whether it is to a waitress, a firefighter, a friend, a spouse, a firefighter, or a professor. Unless it would come across as seeking some form of compensation, it is never inappropriate to give a sincere compliment.

Good for you!

P.S. When y'all become rich attorneys, I hope you'll be generous tippers. An extra dollar or two will mean very little to you but much more to a waiter or the guy who washes your car, etc...

USBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:58:30 PM »
I'd thank your prof in person... then you could chat about stuff and he'll know you and you can come back to him later in case you need anything.

Ordack

• Duck beh farsi chi misheh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:08:51 PM »
I've gotten into the habit of sending personal notes to people.  Whether it's to a professor for an enthralling lecture, to my parents because I was thinking of them, or to a friend or fellow student, I try to send out personal messages (usually through email) at least once a week.  I've found that the recipients really enjoy every bit of praise thrown their way. 

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:11:13 PM »
I should do this alot more, and no one should flame you for doing it.  Once I sent an email to the dean expressing how meaningful one of my profs was during the semester.  We should really go out of our ways to express good hard work.  After all, we sure let em know when someone F's up.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 04:49:08 AM »
Thanks so much guys, for all your stories and encouragement. I really thought I was being over the top, and it's made me happy to read such unanimous replies saying that it is important to tell people when they've had an impact. I didn't know others would feel the same way.
How true - we certainly complain when ppl aren't doing their job. And I will remember what you said about tipping. It's very true. I think anyone, no matter what they do, can make a big impact just with their attitude. A bus driver that helps you with your bag or smiles and sincerely wishes you a good day, or the person at the supermarket who helps you find what you're looking for. Thse people can have such an impact on my mood and wellbeing.
The note thing is a really good idea!

Thanks everybody, or all your great responses. This is definitely one of the happiest threads on LSD :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:42:07 AM »
Good for you!  I've done that before, and not only did it make them feel good about doing well at their job (and for many profs, teaching isn't just a job.  It's a passion), but it made me feel good too.

I always try to do a little bit everyday to be nice to someone.  I always thank my T drivers if I'm getting off at the front door.  I always smile and say thanks when people check me out at the super market.  This isn't some big grand gesture, but these small things are what most people have forgotten to do or are too lazy to do.  And that's very sad.

USBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:36:02 AM »

Thanks everybody, or all your great responses. This is definitely one of the happiest threads on LSD :)

GROUP HUG!!!!! 

:) ;) :D ;D