Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse or Penn State Dickinson, which to attend?  (Read 1254 times)

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Syracuse or Penn State Dickinson, which to attend?
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:19:45 PM »
I've been waitlisted at a few places (Richmond and Catholic), but I need to make some type of decision.  I have it down to Penn State or Syracuse.  Which would you choose?  I really need info on Syracuse, since i know so little about it.  But what are the pros and cons of either.  Feel free to say whatever you'd like.  Thanks! 

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse or Penn State Dickinson, which to attend?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:27:19 PM »
I might be attending syracuse (have to decide in two days) what would you like to know

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:37:33 PM »
Anything really.  Whatever you have.  I know enough about penn state i think, but i know so little about syracuse.  Since i am from VA, and currently live in TN, i haven't gotten the chance to visit to school.  Its reputation, student life, faculty, how competitive is it, atmosphere?  anything you got

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »
well, Im from cali so my knowledge of Syracuse is entirely through the web and I visited on april 1.  I really like the school.  the campus is really nice.  the law schools itself is decent not super modern but nice.  the class I sat in on was interesting.  before class the students were all friendly and engaging.  The whole process was really laid back.  The adcomms and everyone else associated with the admission process have been nothing short of great.  They claim to have a national reputation.  im still not sure to what extent.  they have really good programs from what I have read and heard from students especially international law.  the cost of living is really cheap.  the weather I heard is the coldest experience.  anything else I can tell you ill be happy to.  hope this has helped.

omachoomar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 06:29:10 PM »
I think it depends on where you are planning on practicing law. I'm a senior(UG) at Penn State university Park, and I talked to the pre law advisor about dickinson. She said Dickinson focuses alot on PA law, and that they pride themselves on having an extremely high PA bar passage rate.  She said it is more of a regional school(although USNEWS ranks them both as national), although the penn state name is very well known nationwide. So if you are from PA and want to practice in PA, go to dickinson. If you plan on practicing on NY state the go to syracuse. If you are not planning on practicing in either, then its a toss up. 

They are ranked about the same, dickinson is slightly higher. Avg. starting salary is also about the same.  Dickinson is 6 thousand a year cheaper, And I'm almost positive the cost of living thier is cheaper then Syracuse. Since the starting salary coming out of both schools is'nt that high then that saved money will be really helpful. If you don't mind the small town atmosphere of dickinson then I would go with that if I were you. 

Did either school offer you a scholarship?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 12:36:40 AM »
Neither have offered funding, which makes it even more difficult.  Dickinson is nice, i have visisted.  They tend to go off and work in Harrisburg, Philadelphia and other parts of PA.  I didn't get the impression they focused on PA law at all.  Actually when i went there, they mentioned their bar passing rate, but that their curriculum is not geared toward it.  Syracuse has other advantages, being attached to a university for one.  My fiance can find jobs easier in Syracuse than in Carlisle or harrisburg.  If dickinson were at university park, this would be a no brainer. 

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 08:19:43 AM »
Has your fiance looked into finding a job in Syracuse?  I don't know much about PA, but I've grown up in upstate NY, and I can tell you that jobs are hard to come by up in this area.  Of course it depends on what he does and how much experience he has.  It seems like the talk of all of the upstate NY cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany...) are all experiencing "the brain drain" because young people can't find jobs...so they move elsewhere to find work. 

But, again, if he works in a hot field and has experience, he may not have trouble at all.  I'm not too familiar with Syracuse (only the Rochester and Albany areas), so I don't know how the job market in Syracuse is these days, but I would assume it struggles just like the other cities.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »
I am not sure which school would be better for you.  I am waitlisted at Penn State and accepted to Syracuse but I know it is crucial to visit if you can.  You already have an idea of Penn State now you have to investigate Syracuse and give it a fair chance.  I think your career opportunities will be similar for each school.  I guess what I am saying is that you have two good choices so you have to pick the place that will best accommodate yourself and your fiance for the next three years.  I am sure whatever decision you make will lead your toward a great legal career.  Congrats on your acceptances and best of luck!

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
wow. Kilroy. I'm surprised I didn't find this thread sooner. I had the exact one a few weeks ago. i am deciding between syracuse and dickinson as well. however, i just got back from visitng syracuse and i'm def. leaning towards them. I am going to put a post in the visits and reviews section if youw ant to read that. otherwise, pm me if you have any questions specifically about stuff.  I think syracuse seemed a little bit more professional student and professor wise.  but i do hvae some concerns whihc i will mention in that other post.
I love my philly phanatic :)

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 08:34:46 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I will be visiting Syracuse in two weeks, so hopefully a few more questions will be answered by then.