Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany or Syracuse  (Read 1787 times)

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
Re: Albany or Syracuse
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »
Thanks!

I am excited..but to be honest..I haven't done much research into Syracuse...I really did a lot with the schools I was accepted to.

So, starting from scratch..How is the student body at Syracuse..I might start my own string about Syracuse.

:D

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 06:40:12 PM »
I sat in on a 1L elective class and before class all the students were laughing and joking around.  when class started they all seemed well prepared and many spoke up in class.  it seemed like it was laid back and casual yet they were still prepared to cover the material.  I hope I answered you question.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 05:07:34 PM »
Wow Tis Another Day!!!! That is so funny that you got your acceptance to Syracuse while we are discussing all of this.  Congratulations and I hope this doesn't confuse you like me!

BDC - I really appreciate your input and I think we are on the same page about not wanting to work in upstate New York.  What is making you come all this way from Cali? 

I am heading to Syracuse next week so I will definitely provide a detailed report.

XYZZY

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »

not sure where you're from, but I relocated to Syracuse to get a masters.. it can be a lonely place.  Albany is much closer to Northeastern civilization.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 05:37:30 PM »
loulielawyer,

The decision to go to Syracuse, for me, would not be based on location but rather on the programs and the general feeling of the school.  I applied to eight schools half of them on the west coast but have unfortunately been denied by all but one. usd is still pending and I will go there if accepted.  Although I attended undergrad in cali I grew up in Seattle so moving around is not a problem.  I fell in love with the school itself but I am concerned with living in the artic.  three years is no prob bc I should be inside most of the time studying but after that I would definitely want to relocate elseware.  
   The main reason why I want to go to Syracuse is they have this little bar scene called armory square and at one of the bars I ate the best tasting turkey and gravy dinner and it was cheap.  Ill definitely be going there for some cheap grub that is just delicious. (mostly jk but it is good)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 09:14:23 PM »
You are funny bdc.

But seriously... I know location is definitely not the most important factor but I have to take into consideration my quality of life wherever I go too.  You definitely answered my question about why you applied in New York state.  I just figured a person who was from California would want to practice in California. 

That little bar sounds good.........when did you visit?

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 02:53:09 AM »
I went to the April 1st visitors day.  They pay for a great hotel- I stayed at the one by the school.  From what everyone says location is the most important unless you cone from a top 14 or so school.  So I am worried that I am making a big mistake and will be stuck in upstate ny for many years afterwards.  Average starting salaries are very important (we need to be able to pay back this huge debt)  and I am sure $60,000 goes a lot further in upstate ny then in say Boston (which is my other choice) or any other big city. 

Are you visiting on a visitors day?  I strongly suggest it.  its good to let them take care of you because its the last time they will.  The courting phase is fun- free hotel and free food what more could you ask for?  good luck and if I can help in any way let me know.

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 06:45:26 AM »
BDC -

Hey There!   ;D

Do you think that Syracuse is as local of a college as Albany?  Also, I was planning on going to Loyola New Orleans..and just bought a laptop.  Does anyone know if Syracuse has a particular configuration that is needed to work on campus?

Thx. ;)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 09:26:46 AM »
Hey bdc-

I am going next weekend and I am not sure if there is a visitor's day then because they only posted April dates on the website.  I sent an email to inquire about staying at a hotel.  It seems to me they should provide a intro session etc.  I know I won't be able to sit in on a class because it is probably exam time now.  That is why it sucks to get accepted late because I would have really like to attend one of those visitor days that you attended.

I originally planned to go to Boston because it is where I was born and I did one year of undergrad at Northeastern. (Northeastern dinged me!) I love that city but the cost of living truly is astronomical.  I have been thinking that a city like Syracuse or Albany would not be so bad if I had to live there a few years in the beginning of my career to get out of debt. Boston would be great but it I might move there later when I am making bigger bucks.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »
Tis,

I think that Albany is more of a local college then Syracuse.  I attribute this opinion to the fact that I live in cali and grew up on the west coast.  I have heard of Syracuse as a school (even if it is just for the sports team).  I only heard of Albany when I started researching schools to attend.  it seems that Syracuse is more well known even if it is only because it is attached to a large well known university.  we are in a similiar situation in that for me just replace albany with suffolk (which I never heard of until this process began).  I dont know anything about New Orleans so I cannot help there.  sorry.  Syracuse does have a cpu requirement.  in their paperwork that they send they list the suggested reqs.  this info,I believe, is also online.  when is your seat deposit due?  I have until monday.  keep me posted. good luck.

loulielawyer,

I strongly believe that the visitor day helped me a great deal wkth my decision to attend.  without going to it I definitely would have chosen Suffolk over Syracuse.  With that said, I was happy that they gave us for admit days to choose from and believe they have gone the extra mile during this whole process.  I sure you will be able to set up a tour and speak with the adcomms, fin aid, career services etc.  any info I can give you please ask since you will be a little more limited then if you could have attended a visitors day.  so you are from Boston.  did you apply to Suffolk- and if not why?  tell me your opinion on my choice between suffolk and Syracuse?  any info would be great.  The cost of living difference is great- and its one of my deciding factors.  I would like to live in Boston eventually and I hope I might be able to after grad a Syracuse.  any thoughts of that possibility?  anyway talk to ou all late.  good luck.