Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany or Syracuse  (Read 1903 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Re: Albany or Syracuse
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 03:32:09 PM »
Tis another day -

Did you go to visit Albany?  Where are you from?  I went for an Open house a month ago and I was so impressed with the school and the faculty members that I met.  What other schools are you waiting to hear from?  I am still waiting for Hofstra and New England School of Law.  I think Albany is the school for me.  I won't go there with a transfer plan though.  I am sure I will be happy there for 3 years.  It is just nice to remember that if things don't work out there are other options too.

I am going to Syracuse next weekend so I will let you know what I think.

Congrats to you too!  Maybe we will meet in Albany one day.

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 03:40:01 PM »
I researched both quite extensively, and was dinged at both.  So here's my opportunity to bestow some of my newly found knowledge:

Both similar rep in upstate NY and NYC, maybe one slightly better.  Albany prob slightly better for government.  However, I think Syracuse has a HUGE advantage outside of the state by sharing the name of a well known UG.  I think name recognition is a huge factor that is seldom regarded so on this board, IMHO.

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Quaker -  :( I'm sorry...

Louie - I am confused..if Albany is the school for you then why transfer?  What happens if you cannot transfer out..will you be ok?

Tis Another Day

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 03:43:37 PM »
I posted this to another Albany string..if anyone can help me, greatly appreciated!

Ugh, I just typed all of it prior but it looked like there was an issue when I went to post it.

Let's try again!

I was accepted to Albany and wondering if someone else can share some information they have found out about the school.  I was wondering if anyone found anything negative about the school.  Also, how is the alumni - are the relationships strong?  I didn't sense that while I visited the school - even though they have had some impressive graduates of the school. 

I was also wondering how Albany's reputation faired off nationally?  When I went to the open house, one of my biggest concerns was where I would be getting a position post graduation.  Career Services said that NY (Upstate and NYC), Hartford, and Boston are the biggest cities that recruit out of Albany.  I have absolutely NO desire work Upstate, Hartford, and Boston.  Therefore, I am apprehensive.  I also know the competition is fierce in NYC...and I cannot assume that I will be in the top 10% of the class - because you just NEVER know!! Besides the low median salary - I currently make a substantial amount more than that and cannot be The administration all seemed all so kind.

Thanks you guys.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »
double posting is the fastest way to ensure that no one responds.

try xoxohth.com

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »
I wouldn't discount Syracuse just yet.  I thought Suffolk was the school for me until I visited Syracuse.  Now Im struffling with which one too choose.  Syracuse seems to be a better fit if you dont want ot work in nys.  The name is more well known (even if it is because of the bball team).  If the debt is the same then starting salaries should be a very important criteria.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »
bdc-

Thanks for your input.  What was Syracuse like?  Why did it make such a favorable impression? Your opinions would be extremely helpful as I think this through.  I think I got my mind set on Albany because it was my first and only acceptance for a long time.  Now I feel loyal to this school. Silly I know.....I will try not to be such an irrational girl. I am soooo confused but I will visit next weekend and make my mind up then. 

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »
loulielawyer,

I have a loyal feeling to Syracuse for the same reasons you mentioned about albany.  They have made the entire application process bearable.  In that I mean their turn aound was quick, they always keep in touch and send me mail about different aspects of their school.  They have always been super friendly.  I asked for an extension on the deposit date bc I still had apps pending and they granted it.  When I went to visitors day on April 1 they paid for a real nice hotel.  During visitors day they were informative, we talked with adcomms, the dean, financial aid people, and current students.  The campus is unbelievable and has a castle in the middle.  The law school itself wasnt as modern as say Suffolk was, but it was nice (two buildings).  the thing I like most about the school is their programs.  they have so many to choose from.  I have an interest in their national security and counter terrorism institute.  They have several joint masters programs that you can complete in the same three years.
the only negative thing I can think of is, for me, location.  Im from cali so it will be a huge adjustment for me.  I dont want to live in upstate ny after grad and that seems to be my only concern.  any further questions you might have I will be happy to answer.  hth

Tis Another Day

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 05:13:54 PM »
So here we go AGAIN!!

I was just accepted to Syracuse Law too!

I will be visiting as well to make my decision!!

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 05:58:44 PM »
tis,

congrats.  this decision making process is tough.  it is better then not having the choice so I feel pretty lucky.  when you visit go on an admit day and stay at the hotel next to campus.  they pay for it and it is a really nice hotel.  also- another benifit to Syracuse is that rent is really cheap.  I know there are good and bad parts but wow it sure is inexpensive.  just another angle to look at. im not sure what the col is in albany.  good luck and congrats