Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany or Syracuse  (Read 1909 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Albany or Syracuse
« on: April 28, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
I have been accepted to Albany and Syracuse and I am weighing the pros and cons.  Does anybody have any advice for me?  I have been to visit Albany but not Syracuse.  I am trying to determine which school will provide me with better career opportunties and also which city will have a better quality of life for the next three years.

leoladybug

Re: Albany or Syracuse
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
hmmm...tough choice.  you should definitely visit syracuse before you make a decison.  they are only a few hours apart from each other but syracuse gets a lot more snow.

i think they are both great if you want to practice in NYS.  i am from upstate NY.  both schools have great reputations here.

good luck!!

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 03:39:59 PM »
Thanks for your input.  I am definitely going to head to Syracuse for a visit soon.  I am not thinking of working in upstate New York.  I am more interested in working in either Boston, NYC or Washington DC.  Does this make a difference?

mlenin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:29:48 PM »
I have lived near both Albany and Syracuse, and I am not sure which I prefer, although I do like both.

I think you should decide on the basis of what area you like better if cost is not an issue. I think Syracuse will offer you more in terms of national opportunity (maybe because of its basketball program), but I also think Albany has a stronger connection to big firm practice in New York (maybe because it is located in the state capitol).

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 10:34:28 PM »
Thanks so much for your comments.  Those are interesting points.  It is so hard to determine whether choosing Albany or Syracuse will make a major difference in my career.  I feel like 99% of my destiny will be up to me and how hard I work.  The schools are so close in rankings even though they are in Tiers 2 and 3.  I was really impressed with Albany (the school) and I had my mind made up.  I wasn't expecting an acceptance to Syracuse.  Now everything is up in the air again!!!

I am not complaining though.  I feel fortunate to have choices.

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 08:23:19 AM »
I don't know much about Syracuse, but one advantage Albany has is that it's in the state capitol.  It provides a better opportunity for summer internships in government and non-profits than Syracuse does.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 08:51:40 AM »
Very true.  Albany's location is excellent for government opportunities!

mlenin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:04:44 AM »
Do not make your decision on the basis on rank, especially because the ranks for Albany and Syracuse are not all that different. In 2004 Albany was ranked 100 by US News while Syracuse was 97. Neither school was ranked in the top 100 in 2005. In the latest ranking Syracuse ranks 95. In terms of the median starting private salary, according to ILRG, Albany comes in at 43k while Syracuse commands 60k (the higher salary at Syracuse loosely supports my claim that Syracuse is more national than Albany even though the legal market in Albany is probably better than Syracuse). If you are looking for mobility you must graduate in the top quartile of your class. Better yet, graduate in the top 5 to 10 percent of your class or transfer after your first year. Interestingly, I know two law graduates of Georgetown that transferred there from Albany. Again, if money is not a factor, go to the area that you prefer because Albany and Syracuse are not that different in terms of future opportunity.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:14:31 AM »
Thanks mlenin!  It is true that the rankings are close.  It is the difference in median starting salary that concerns me.  It is inspiring to know that people transfer to better schools from Albany too.  I am not sure if that is what I will do but it is nice to have the option open.  I am planning to work my butt off and place high in the class.  I appreciate your input!

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 12:28:30 PM »
Louie -

I completely understand what you are saying when you are concerned about the median salary.  I have brought this up with the Career Services and will be calling them either today or tomorrow.  I will let you know.  My friend told me who goes to GW said to me - never go to a school with the expectation of transferring b/c honestly you never know!!

I was accepted to Albany but still on the fence of if I will be attending.  I hate that there are still some schools that haven't sent a decision as of yet.  UGH! It is enough to make someone nuts!

Well..tell me how Syracuse is.  Just curious.

Have a great day and congrats on your acceptances?!?!