Law School Discussion

What R U Eating? Healthy Cooking

Ladyday

• View Profile
Re: What R U Eating? Healthy Cooking
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »
The veggies are taking over this thread! BWAHAHA!

Thanks anyway, ladyday. I'll do a search to see if I can find anything on the web. If I'm successful I'll post something.

RE: protein/iron/etc: I get most of my protein from milk sources (yogurt, cheese and some milk), beans, and eggs. I don't know what I would do if I were vegan. Even as vegetarians, though, don't we miss out on some kind of amino acid? Or some kind of oil? I forget, exactly.

Supplements  ;D Like for example, I have an amino acid spray, that i spray onto my salads, then i use salad dressing. Plus, a lot of the vegan versions of milk sources add essential vitamins to the products. There's so many ways to eat veggie/vegan! It's just the prices that are ridiculous! My advise is to look for a co-op in your area, the prices are much cheaper than a place like Whole Foods etc. I paid a $25 joining fee and have to work 2.75 hours a month, plus a $100 investment fee that you get back if you ever leave the co-op (i only pay $5 a month towards that). Actually they did a study and retail stores like Whole Foods increase the prices by 300%  >:( Plus the co-op that i'm a member in only carries healthy foods, (or at least healthier versions of junk foods) so they clearly label if something is organic or not and if they find out any company uses hormones or something in their product they will label it to let you know, or stop carrying them altogether.

OK I'm done for now. I guess the veggies are taking over  ;D

seu2002

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »
well this is the healthy eating thread?  can you get healthier than a vegetarian/vegan diet?  hardly.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »
well this is the healthy eating thread?  can you get healthier than a vegetarian/vegan diet?  hardly.

I don't know ... M&Ms and cheese pizza are vegetarian, after all.

seu2002

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 02:55:41 PM »

a diet that consists of only m&ms and cheese pizza is hardly a diet.  it's a death wish.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 02:57:40 PM »

a diet that consists of only m&ms and cheese pizza is hardly a diet.  it's a death wish.

true enough. but I've seen too many wannabe trendy-vegetarians go this route.

seu2002

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 03:02:31 PM »

true enough. but I've seen too many wannabe trendy-vegetarians go this route.

i would think that the trendy vegetarians would be those buying into all-organic or raw foods or the latest in those fads.  i don't know many vegetarians that do only non-meat junk food.  most of the ones i know are genuinley concerned with supplementing their nutritional needs.  this is, at least, the case in austin which is a very vegetarian/vegan friendly town.  i'm going to miss it.  but if ladyday says the NE is up to par, then i feel better about it.

MsJay9

• I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 09:09:41 AM »
OK...I see a lot of people talking about some of the things that are good for you but I want to talk about things that Taste Good and r good for you.....Someone help me out....I need to figure out what I'm cooking for dinner!  :)

seu2002

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2005, 09:14:02 AM »
tofu lo mein.  it's my fave and very easy to cook.  or any chinese dish with tofu.  how's that?

MsJay9

• I'm never down.....I'm either Up or Getting Up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - msjy9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005, 09:21:24 AM »
tofu lo mein.  it's my fave and very easy to cook.  or any chinese dish with tofu.  how's that?

:) Thanks Seu.....But I don't eat tofu.....although the lo mein does sound pretty good, even though I've never made it before.  I like it, but sometimes it leaves an aftertaste....And I know my baby won't eat it.....Throw something else out!

seu2002

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2005, 09:23:46 AM »
how bout some bean/cheese tostadas or spinach enchiladas?  let me know.